Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Buckle Jungmännerbünde

Article about: My newest buckle arrived today. A Reichsverband der Evangelischen Jungmännerbünde Deutschlands buckle in brass. The somewhat ugly residue of the connecting process is a fact, but doesn’t

?

Default Buckle Jungmännerbünde

My newest buckle arrived today. A Reichsverband der Evangelischen Jungmännerbünde Deutschlands buckle in brass.

The somewhat ugly residue of the connecting process is a fact, but doesn’t really inflict the happiness of having a new little treasure. Maybe like a newborn with ugly ears, you love it just as much.

My interest in German buckles is completely heading into the direction of civil organisations, youth leagues, Turnerbund, Weimar and Kriegervereine. Not really the easy to get buckles I’m afraid.

Kind regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buckle Jungmännerbünde   Buckle Jungmännerbünde  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Buckle Jungmännerbünde
    P
    Many

I must admit to having something of a soft spot for non NSDAP and Weimar era belt buckles and in particular, those relating to the more obscure youth and Church related organisations.

The Forum has shown and discussed a phenomenal number of these buckles over a number of years, however and as I have alluded to before, they are near impossible to extract for study and reference due to the near useless search facility which the Forum is saddled with.

Great to see a “Reichsverbände der Evangelischen Jungmännerbünd de Deutschlands” buckle after such a long time.

There are however two features which puzzle me a tad.

The buckle box is the well documented reverse striation type and this specific roundel is known by past examples shown, to be supported by this distinctive box. For this quite specific “Eichenkreuzabzeichen” roundel and box, I would normally expect to see on the reverse and by six lines, the declaration of GES.GESCH. REICHSVERBÄNDE DER JUNGMÄNNERBÜND DEUTSCHLANDS WUPPERTAL-BARMEN ALLEE 191. For the buckle shown and this may be my imagination, it is as though this “framed” and precisely located lettering was once in place and now, has been erased.

The second puzzle is towards the strange black material clinging like death on parts of the roundel and the box. What is it and what is it doing there?

Anyway, great to see this genre of buckle being posted on the Forum.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

Thank you David, for your reply.

I will examine the back, where this text is commonly located, very closely later this day to see if I may find traces of it.

The black material on the front looks like overly done soldering. Sometimes seen on Stahlhelm or other Kriegervereine buckles if I’m correct (?)

Kind regards

Joost

?

David, there seems no trace of any text I’m afraid.

The wear on the exact place where the text on other examples is located also covers the soldering points, which at least shows the roundel not being attached later in my opinion.

The black ‘residue’ seems to be more a discolouration of the brass now that I used some Ballistol to clean and preserve the buckle.

I will continue searching for more information.

Kind regards

Many thanks for the update Joost and which is greatly appreciated.

I have limited experience towards this specific buckle, although the lack of a stamped to reverse “organisation declaration”, does not concern me in the least.

It is the “striated” reverse to the buckle box which set a false trail as these marks are often and quite erroneously in my opinion, seen as a manufacturers trademark or signature. I have over the years tried to collate common features of the “striated back” buckles such as the shape of the catch, the type of solder spots, any folding and tool marks and the like. There are it should be said clear similarities between some buckles, however the emphasis is on some and not all

The only and flimsy consistent feature I think is the horizontal lines to the brass and which always seem to run horizontally. In addition, I have seen buckles which display exactly the same reverse details other than being “striated” and “non striated”.

It is only my opinion, however I do not think that the so called “striated back” buckles are the sole prerogative of one manufacturer.

Instead, I think that these striations are a product characteristic from a particular sheet brass manufacturer, convertor or distributor who supported amongst others, the "cottage industry" buckle manufacturers. I hold nothing whatsoever to support this theory and instead, it is simply an observation based on experience. Another casual observation is that the overwhelming majority of “striated back” buckles are not NSDAP related, however there are always exceptions to demolish this observation as SA buckles made with this brass are known.

There is no single definitive design for this buckle by say the roundel as variations of the famous “Eichenkreuzabzeichen” are known and actually are shown within the Forum. The same comments apply to the buckle box, the pin, the pin shroud and the claws, as well as the style of the solder spots and last however not least, the presence or not of a stamped in “organisation declaration”.

As for the strange staining around the rim of the roundel and which runs over to the buckle box, I have absolutely no idea what it is. If it can be safely removed without causing any damage, marking or discolouration to the roundel and box, then I personally would carefully address the issue.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

Thank you very much for the effort and taking the time to share the insights and your thoughts. Its really appreciated.

I have tried, very carefully, to remove some of the blackening but as it appears to be a discoloration and not a residue as I initially thought, I wasn’t able to do so without harming the patina and even the surface. So I discontinued my cleaning project, I do not want to harm the buckle.

Kind regards,

Joost