Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RDW Buckle

Article about: Good evening all. Today I received this Reichsbund Deutscher Wachdienst buckle. It was made and marked by C.TH.D (Carl Theodor Dicke), a button making company since the 18th century from Lü

?

Default RDW Buckle

Good evening all.

Today I received this Reichsbund Deutscher Wachdienst buckle. It was made and marked by C.TH.D (Carl Theodor Dicke), a button making company since the 18th century from Lüdenscheid.

It is one of the RDW buckles without the text on the four sides of the box on the frontside.

After heading into the direction of collecting more civil, Weimar and Kriegervereine buckles very recently I did not expect to find this one so soon, so its condition and quality makes me quite happy.

Kind regards.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RDW Buckle   RDW Buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RDW Buckle
    P
    Many

?

I can't comment on the originality of the buckle, but I believe the maker is better known as Christian Theodor Dicke, Ludensheid, their RZM allocation was M4/22.. G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

I really like the buckle shown here, however I am scratching my head a tad about the remarks concerning the manufacturer.

This is an extremely interesting buckle and one which often generates discussions as to who actually wore it and more contentiously, whether it is pre 1945 or post 1945 manufactured.

There is little sense I think to rattle on about Reichsbund Deutsche Wachdienste or the Reichseinheitsverband des Deutschen Bewachungsgewerbes (e. V. Berlin), although it is worth remembering that the latter was essentially the trade association representing all German private security companies and where membership was compulsory.

As a separate and equally interesting subject, large factories arranged their own security in the form of the Werkschutz and not forgetting the more obscure Wach und Schliessgesellschaften.

The contention is towards buckles that display the declaration of “REICHSEINHEITSVERBAND DES DEUTSCHEN BEWACHUNGSGEWERBES E.V. BERLIN” (roughly translated as the Reich’s Unified Federation of the German Security Industry) and those buckles, which do not.

It is suggested that the buckles sporting the declaration are pre 1945 and those without, are post 1945.

In my opinion this is not so and instead both were worn concurrently and where period photographs exist to support this.

Having said that and just to muddy the water a little, Christian Theodor Dicke continued production of this buckle post war as the design was not in the least controversial and there was a demand, even though the Reichseinheitsverband had been abolished.

Pre 1945 buckles were manufactured in brass and when new, were finished with a protective and decorative lacquer, whereby the post 1945 buckles are manufactured in steel and are sprayed with a gold coloured paint. The pre 1945 buckles were marked with a logo as C. TH. within an elongated D and the post 1945 buckles are not. Instead, the post 1945 manufactured buckles display a version of the Haus Dicke logo under the pin shroud.

Pre 1945 buckles are of course known to carry the Haus Dicke logo, although the design of the pre 1945 logo and the post 1945 logo are completely different, as is the actual placement of the said logo. A very minor point is that for many of the pre 1945 manufactured buckles, the brazed on catch leans a little and which is a similar characteristic on some early nickle silver HJ buckles.

Variations of course exist and these include buckles with separately applied emblems and also, buckle displaying a crank catch arrangement. Although not confirmed, it has been suggested that Christian Theodor Dicke was not the exclusive manufacturer of this extremely interesting buckle and examples are apparently known by F. W. Assmann & Söhne.

Regards and best wishes,

David
    Last edited by David North; 05-19-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Default Post 1945

Post 1945 example of this buckle.

?

@seafox,
    Nice buckle coole Militaria
    My post 1945 example of this buckle.
    Regards..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RDW Buckle   RDW Buckle  

RDW Buckle  

?

David, thank you for your help, again !

I didn’t know these buckles were continued after the war.

This one is made from brass and, indeed, has a lacquer thats is not completely covering the front anymore. Also the catch is leaning a little to the makers mark, if I understood correct this is what you meant.

I have made two more pictures of it, one that shows the remains of the lacquer very clearly and one of the catch leaning forwards.

Kind regards,

Joost

?

Nice buckle Kabl ! Do you have any idea about the year it was made or used ?

?

Hello,
    Speculation of myself..
    This type of belt lock is said to have been produced and sold by Diecke until the 1960s (is controversial)
    Is / or is possible. it would be, because in 1948 an interest group (Central Association of the Guarding Trade) was founded again (in Germany), as the occupying powers allowed private guarding companies again. For this central association, such a production could be imaginable .. whether or not, I don't want to judge, because from 1973 the Federal Association of German Guard and Security Companies (BDWS) was founded with a different symbolism.

Best regards