Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Original ? WW1 Belt Buckle German Military Got Mit Uns w/ Lions

Article about: Hi ! Can I ask your opinion about this Original WW1 Belt Buckle German Military Got Mit Uns w/ Lions ...It is just selling on E-bay, I don't see the buckle like it anywhere ... Original WW1

?

Default Original ? WW1 Belt Buckle German Military Got Mit Uns w/ Lions

Hi !

Can I ask your opinion about this Original WW1 Belt Buckle German Military Got Mit Uns w/ Lions ...It is just selling on E-bay, I don't see the buckle like it anywhere ... Original WW1 Belt Buckle German Military Got Mit Uns w/ Lions | eBay

Thank You!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original ? WW1 Belt Buckle German Military Got Mit Uns w/ Lions
    P
    Many

Dear Franz,

In my opinion, this buckle is trying hard to be one associated with the Bavarian “Customs Service”.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

Aw man... No offense, but when others are doing research the LAST thing we need is a dead link...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original ? WW1 Belt Buckle German Military Got Mit Uns w/ Lions  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Quote by Gwar View Post
    ...but when others are doing research the LAST thing we need is a dead link...
    A good point Gwar and many thanks for posting an image of the obverse. Perhaps it may be useful to include an image of the reverse, as the style of the "C" catch and the pin are odd to say the least.

The strange thing is and as far as I can recall, I have never seen this exact buckle feature in any reference work. Despite this, some of us still and in a slavishly and unthinking way, refer to this buckle as one associated with the Bavarian “Customs Service”.

Personally I have never liked this buckle in any shape or form, however to be perfectly honest, the Imperial era is of little interest to me.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

David, I have retracted my statement as Dos has added the reverse photos for future reference.
    Last edited by Gwar; 10-06-2020 at 03:01 AM.

Dos
    ?

Never seen one before, But just helping out on this thread. @Gwar below in the description are some more photos.

Cheers,

Dos

?

Thanks Dos, greatly appreciated..

Hello Gwar, noted that you have modified your comments. Hello Dos, many thanks for posting the additional images.

So here we have it.

A buckle which from memory does not appear in any reference work and to include those published separately by Messrs. Bandau and Catella. A buckle which appears to be undocumented and yet automatically attracts the description of Bavarian Customs related. A buckle by the aggressive roundel design which appears to be more suited to the Bavarian Cavalry than the Customs Service and interestingly displays a Prussian motto, rather than one associated with Bavaria. A buckle which is encountered with a variety of box and fittings styles and where a common feature appears to be that the nickle silver or brass roundels have no obvious means of being affixed to the boxes.

These are simply casual and throw away observations from the odd examples that I have seen and hopefully the Forum will chime in here.

Look forward to any comments.

Regards and best wishes,

David
    Last edited by David North; 10-06-2020 at 12:25 PM.