Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WWI German Buckle & Belt with buttons

Article about: I bought this belt/buckle set that was advertised as WWII belt w/ WWI buckle. Can you comment on any of the details? The belt is faintly marked with 1917 date and some words that I will try

Default WWI German Buckle & Belt with buttons

I bought this belt/buckle set that was advertised as WWII belt w/ WWI buckle. Can you comment on any of the details? The belt is faintly marked with 1917 date and some words that I will try to make out better. There are buttons attached and one that came loose - loose one SLB and an HA on back. One plain button, a button with number eight and two crown buttons. the ammo pouch is marked on back - J SIGLIE & Cie, 1915, KORNWESTHEIM SALAMANDER SCHUHFABRIKEN. The buckle has no markings - is two piece and has a tab but the tab looks "new"? There is green corrosion on buckle and belt consistent with each other. Is the 8 a regiment or division number? Any insight on the buckle maker or the buttons is appreciated.

Joe
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI German Buckle & Belt with buttons   WWI German Buckle & Belt with buttons  

WWI German Buckle & Belt with buttons   WWI German Buckle & Belt with buttons  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI German Buckle & Belt with buttons
    P
    Many

Default Re: WWI German Buckle & Belt with buttons

josephc,

The buttons in the photo, the one with a '8' and the other with a crown, are shoulderboard buttons, 16MM, and the crown button was also used as pocket buttons. They are smaller than the buttons (22MM) used to button the tunic up. The button with the '8' would have been used on the shoulderboard of a soldaten from the 8th company of a regiment.

Anton

Quote by AntonEbans View Post
    josephc,

The buttons in the photo, the one with a '8' and the other with a crown, are shoulderboard buttons, 16MM, and the crown button was also used as pocket buttons. They are smaller than the buttons (22MM) used to button the tunic up. The button with the '8' would have been used on the shoulderboard of a soldaten from the 8th company of a regiment.

Anton
    thank you for that information. Any ideas on the belt manufacturer -
    - the date is 1917 and location Mannheim but still a little tough to get other words; maybe a forum member more familiar with the manufacturers can get enough clues from the pic to fill in the blanks.

?

josephc,

The maker's mark on your belt is, "Badiol-Industrie, G.M.B.H., Mannheim 1917". I have logged markings from that company on M09 cartridge boxes, backpack shoulder straps, etc. with dates running from 1915 through 1918.

CCMJR