Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brand new MK6A

Article about: Bought this MK6A off Ebay a few days ago not thinking about it too much, as it was only £20 and I didn't have a 6A in my collection. However, I think I lucked out, it seems to be brand new!

Default Brand new MK6A

Bought this MK6A off Ebay a few days ago not thinking about it too much, as it was only £20 and I didn't have a 6A in my collection.

However, I think I lucked out, it seems to be brand new!

2009 dated size Small, but not even a single scuff mark, and the leather feels really soft seemingly confirming its nonuse, heck it even smells new haha.

The 2009 date is probably the reason why it's not used considering the MK7 came into service that year.

Brand new MK6A Brand new MK6A

Brand new MK6A Brand new MK6A

I sort of agree with you... but the Mk7 was not a replacement of the Mk6A for some time (on operations) / ever (in terms of being 'standard' issue). For example, I was issued a Mk6A specifically to go to Afghanistan in 2010, because only 'Teeth Arms' (or rather those regularly going out on dismounted patrols, which did include some Support Arms personnel) were getting Mk7s. The 'sharp end' folks were not the majority of each tour, so large numbers of Mk6As were still being issued & used well after 2009.

Of course, the fact that there was a new (& VERY sought after) type on issue soon after yours was made is still likely to have played a part in it retaining that 'factory fresh' smell

PS I have one which is the same size but otherwise the polar opposite... I believe it was part of the 'pool' of Mk6As which were kept on hand for Locally Employed Civilians in the workshop, in case an incident meant they needed head protection - its covered in baked on / ingrained dust which has so far resisted all cleaning

Interestingly I also have a brand new (still boxed and wrapped) Standard MK6 helmet also dated 2009 I picked up off eBay for only £25 recently. This surprised me as I had no idea they still produced those much after 2005 at all, especially as late as 2009. Which ironically also means you could get a MK6, MK6A, and MK7 all dated 2009.

Hey here's a printed tag to a 2011 Mk6 I have. And a shot with the chinese made cover!

When I did one of my what-are-you-wearing (HELMETS!!) question seshs I was asking who'd got the (then) 2 year old Virtus.....one of my victims (a small female) was still using a Mk6 as she wasnt "front line" AND Small sizes were only done in small numbers.......the others had a 6A and 7s........the Paras were whinging about the mini rails on the Virtus (now removed)......

This info is nearly a year old now but I've just realised it might be of interest, in terms of what is 'current'...

I'm on a series of courses in preparation for a new job (although it is somewhat 'representational', it is not 'front line') & my Joining Instructions (dated April 20) included the instruction that I should be in possession of at least a Mk6A or Mk7 helmet. I'd interpret that as acknowledging that Mk6s are still out there, but there is some effort being applied to 'levelling up' to the improved types ie at least those sourced through the Urgent Operational Requirements, while Virtus is being rolled out.

As my Mk6As are 'collection' rather than 'official issue', we'll have to see what I'm offered when I can finally get to the stores (COVID WFH!) & exchange my long-serving Mk6!

thanks mate...'will be interesting to see how that develops.....

Update - I could not get a Virtus helmet (though I have received all the body armour etc) as they were "Dues Out"... as my deployment date was imminent, I received a refurbished Mk7 instead.

Quote by brickie501 View Post
    Update - I could not get a Virtus helmet (though I have received all the body armour etc) as they were "Dues Out"... as my deployment date was imminent, I received a refurbished Mk7 instead.
    Ah, the old "Dues out" flim-flam! I remember it well.
    Traditionally it has covered more explanations for stock not being on hand than the famous depot fire at Donnington (more years ago than I care to count). For those not familiar with the expression the nearest civilian equivalent is probably "on back order". A "Dues out" signal is the Quartermaster's get out of jail free card!

Sorry to go a little off topic but I am sure there will be a few non-Brit, non-military types out there scratching their heads at out quaint terminology

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mr Brick...are you currently Serving? I’m amazed that in August of 2021 you lost a Mk6....and moved onto a Mk7. The Virtus lid is now 6 years old and the 7s are really getting on too. ...’bit personal...but here goes.......are you a small or large size? The other folk I’ve spoken too with “old” lids have been “held back” due to size availability.....

Happy to progress this via PM if you prefer...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast