Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

British Composite helmet history - do we know it?

Article about: We SHOULD. I recently read that a boxed and dated Mk6 (sic) (I suspect they meant Mk6ALPHA) had been observed dated 2014 and another dated 2013. I've travelled around UK shows and last year

so...we kinda got there.....

Mk6 1985
    Mk6A 2005
    Mk7 2009
    Virtus 2015

...and my chat with the boys'n'girls in green in the summer educated me further in that at least one of them was waiting to jump from Mk6 ("the green one") skipping the 6A (the more comfortable black one") to the Virtus as she hadn't been able to get a SMALL 6A. 7's appear to have been dropped like a quickly dropped thing on National Drop 7s Day....and have fallen straight onto Ebay for 47p each....but nows here's another challenge....let's overlay the Green & Desert DPM and MTP covers too and remember the 7 only had it's own uniquely shaped as it was about to be killed off...so we'll need 6 MTP and 7-shaped MTP. This one isn't about posting your pics of covers as there's at least one thread already on that...and to be honest I've had enough of folks gardens and dining room tables.....we KNOW what they look like....they're all kinda dome-shaped in patterned cloth.......it's about the dates....

Now, I have a Mk5 with a well worn 6 DPM cover on....which LOOKS like it's been on there forever....so is there any reason to suggest that there wasn't a 5 and 6 overlap resulting in some "new" covers being thrown on steelies?

oh, and yes, I know there've been variants...the two bands, the Gortex, the legendary "Spare", the Tea Bag, various commercials etc etc....but this question is about the camo pattern on the standard issue covers.....green'n'wavy, yellow'n'wavy and MTP

('bet someone posts their "here's mine" pic...then we'll get the ""s.......and we'll be off-topic by the weekend)

Two things -

was the 6A really intended as a general issue helmet? I always understood it was a special-purpose issue for those in particularly exposed positions. (As if merely being shot at at all wasn't a bit exposed and frankly scary...)

and

never mind all this waffle about cloth stuff, what's happened to all the hundreds of thousands of spare CN8415 99 130 6035 Rivet Mk6? Virtus is notably lacking in this iconic British feature. Keep your eyes open at fairs - some people (me for example) will pay money for these.

And re the absolute avalanche of Mk7 on Ebay - I am genuinely amazed at how many Virtus are there as well. I'm sure a lot more than 7s were at a similar stage in the game. Is this because they're all imported with more cracks to fall through, or what? Are they all imported, I dunno actually boss. Someone must. Are any or all made locally? I suddenly feel quite ignorant.

As you well know, I'm dedicating my life to the search for your rubber darts BUT IF I get any, you must commit to Youtubing yourself trying to fit them....that's gonna top rocking on the dining room table (I guess you had to be there!)

Now re your comment re the 6A...that's interesting but I've not read (or heard) that....I DID hear that the 7 was supposed to be a stop-gap (did we ever sort the pre-7 7s such as the 900, 902, CTT etc etc?)....anyway...none of that is about the cloth!!!!

The 6A thing is something I heard quite early on, even before I'd actually seen one. Which means more than ten years ago now. The idea went that it was intended for 'top-cover' positions, like sticking your upper body out of the top of a vehicle, or maybe MG emplacements or the like. It made sense to me given that the 6A is significantly heavier than the 6, so accepting it was intended as special-purpose use rather than all-day wear was easy. Of course this whole tale may have been a red herring in a mare's nest. Search the house for someone in unform.

All you need to fit the fabled rubber rivet is a pair of pliers and a sharp knife - easy! To get them out in the first place you need a hammer and an appropriate-sized spike - less easy than it sounds, usually.

The Mk6A where issued on mass to the early units fighting in Iraqi , there was also a issue with some Para trained troops wearing there Para Helmets on tour which was a big no no , As far as i know the Mk6A were issued around the same time as the Osprey Body armor because of issues with the older items not doing their job

Quote by kradman View Post
    The Mk6A where issued on mass to the early units fighting in Iraqi , there was also a issue with some Para trained troops wearing there Para Helmets on tour which was a big no no , As far as i know the Mk6A were issued around the same time as the Osprey Body armor because of issues with the older items not doing their job
    You may well know more than me about this, but the dates don't seem to match up. TELIC began in 2003, and I have not yet seen a Mk6A dated earlier than 2005. My understanding was that they were brought in at short notice during the progress of TELIC for specific use as outlined in my post above. Of course "we all know..." is sometimes wrong and that may be wrong too. Obviously it is hard to see whether anyone is wearing a 6 or 6A when it has a cover as the straps are identical.

Your point about the Para lightweight is certainly right; they were worn by both Para and infantry arms simply because they were lighter and less uncomfortable in the heat. You will find examples fitted with the Mk6 strap in an attempt to disguise them from inquisitive Sergeant-Majors. The actual protective quality is rather less than a Mk6. Then they got the 6A which is heavier and likely even less comfortable in a hot environment.

...got myself a 2010 dated Mk6 (not 6A) yesterday.....shan't bother with pics....it's green..there's a label...blah blah......

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...got myself a 2010 dated Mk6 (not 6A) yesterday.....shan't bother with pics....it's green..there's a label...blah blah......
    No no no, hold the phone a minute there...it's the LABEL we want to see! No, seriously. Some of us. Me, anyway.

you know, sometimes....just sometimes....you can be a real pain in the @*$£! :-)

British Composite helmet history - do we know it?

Quote by Composite View Post
    2011 Mk6
    Last edited by reneblacky; 11-06-2018 at 04:55 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast