Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

British Composite helmet history - do we know it?

Article about: We SHOULD. I recently read that a boxed and dated Mk6 (sic) (I suspect they meant Mk6ALPHA) had been observed dated 2014 and another dated 2013. I've travelled around UK shows and last year

Thumbs up

I would back Greg's thinking...

My service started in the mid-90s, so something might have existed before, but in the last 25 years I have never had a 'recall' on my Mk6 & I have never heard of one for anyone else... bearing in mind this would likely come through the 'chain of command' (of which I have long been a part) rather than being sent directly from industry or even DE&S; that's just the way (at least) the Army does these things

I am pretty sure combat helmets are a 'P Class' item - which are things that have to be backloaded when stores exchange them for damage or receive them back on a 'de kit' at the end of a service persons career. Thus, given the assumed indefinite life above, it would make sense they were refurbished at that point; either more comprehensively (especially if damaged) or just partially, for 'personal' parts such as liners & chin straps etc.

Edited to add:

I am more familiar (& even then, not an expert) in "ES Mat" items, ie aircraft or vehicle spares, rather than what I still term "G1098" items like personal equipment.

So the above describes how I believe British Army supply would work but it might be different for helmets. I am unsure how it would happen if so, but they might even be 'L Class' (with 'P' being for Permanent, & 'L' for Limited, Accounting)... but the latter is generally for items which would otherwise be 'C Class' (for Consumables), except that they are in some way valuable / attractive ie they are (supposed to be!) thrown away / destroyed, but only once the person exchanging it has handed in the used up / damaged old one!...

If there are any hereabouts, a 'Q' or J4 ninja might be able to confirm!
    Last edited by brickie501; 07-31-2020 at 01:29 PM.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Sorry Mate wish I could help, 2nd wave lock down down here!! taking check on very cheap wagyu steaks at the mo!
    Got me steaks real cheap! Lucky!

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    ... I'd really like to know more about what was happening in these Royal Army Ordnance Factories/Royal Ordnance Factories that got them involved with small-scale helmet production. From the dates it seems like at least two or three years *before* the plants were privatised, and even then they seem to have been taken over by BAE rather than National Plastics, main producer of the Mk6...
    Apologies for the very delayed input - I only really noticed this question while re-reading the thread today!

I don't know for certain this happened here, but the following is a practice that has been seen with other organisations which were sold off... Its quite possible the potential sale was known about a few years ahead of it occurring & helmet production was extra business that was found / went their way... either to show how useful / flexible they were 'as is' or to make their business portfolio more attractive to future purchasers.

Quote by Composite View Post
    ....would ones helmet have been RECALLED to be refurb'd or would it have happened as one left the service........the reason I ask in if one served from say 1986 to 1998 could someone have never had a refurb'd 6?..is this the reason they're still found ie they were being used all the time???
    ... & to add on this specific point, yes, if someone did not exchange the helmet, having been issued a smooth type when they were in circulation ie as initial issue or to replace a tin lid, for any other reason (& providing I'm correct in my assertion that there was no 'recall'), then it would have remained in its original state.

They therefore exist having been disposed out of service 'as is' once replaced by later types, as well as in the possession of folks who kept them after leaving (as part of a minimum scale of equipment) before that point for the purposes of their residual commitment; there is a post somewhere here, that I can't find at moment, which mentions somebody keeping their helmet on leaving Regular service.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9