Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

British Mk6 alpha

Article about: Hello everyone, is a bit of time who are looking for a good Mk6 A, I just found this interesting example that I want to share with you. But the thing that left me a little amazed is the date

Not really Ade, I think this would be too much; I just wanted to say that if someone remembers to own a helmet with a such label would be interesting to know for a comparison.

Regards

New recruits coming though are being issue the new Virtus helmets issued while doing Soldier Initial (Phase 1) Training at Pirbright but those who joined before the new system was starting to be issue still have the Mk6A or Mk7 helmets and the stores still issue Mk6A for helmets lost or as replacement for damaged helmets ,This is at a Training Regt but will most likely be different from unit to unit Another interesting thing is they still issue MTP helmet covers marked for Mk6 helmets as well as the Mk7 covers

Quote by kradman View Post
    New recruits coming though are being issue the new Virtus helmets issued while doing Soldier Initial (Phase 1) Training at Pirbright but those who joined before the new system was starting to be issue still have the Mk6A or Mk7 helmets and the stores still issue Mk6A for helmets lost or as replacement for damaged helmets ,This is at a Training Regt but will most likely be different from unit to unit Another interesting thing is they still issue MTP helmet covers marked for Mk6 helmets as well as the Mk7 covers
    Thanks kradman,
    for your very detailed explanation, I did not know these things, but these details reinforce my idea concerning the dating of this helmet.

Roberto

Interesting....I spoke to a few dealers at Malvern yesterday and asked about Virtus helmets bearing in mind two have cropped up on eBay recently.....every one of them replied "'wouldn't touch 'em"....and one said they still wouldn't buy/sell the Mk7......

The problem is the MOD Police look out for these sort of items for sale online and at shows and body armour and rations is a big no no and now days a lot of these items have a contract number so the item can be traced back to where it came from

Quote by Composite View Post
    ..and one said they still wouldn't buy/sell the Mk7......
    This seems almost comically sanctimonious here in 2017 when the Mk7 showed up on Ebay almost within weeks of issue, and that was, what, best part of ten years ago now almost. I've bought maybe eight or nine over the years (no, not all for myself...) and seen the prices to from ridiculous to pretty cheap - there's a Mk7 on ebay right now at BIN £65, and *no one has bought it yet* which shows if nothing else that the initial surge of interest has long abated. A lot of those on sale now are obviously used, too. And it is on the verge of replacement, which probably means a surplus-dump and the expected consequences. Unless of course the Army takes the same sort of attitude as the Swedes or Spanish and maintains that helmets (and armour) cannot be released into the wild. But even that's a variable; even though the Hjalm90 is still fantastically rare the once uncommon Martes are now, frankly, easy to get (at a price). How many of us, I wonder, actually do have illegally-sourced (at some point down the line) material in our collections?

It seems to me that the anxiety about selling these came from a couple of notorious cases when serving soldiers were arrested for stealing and selling on an almost industrial scale. They're in the jail-house now. I am sure kradman is right when he asserts MOD police do look out for organised thieving, and it is wise for dealers and collectors to exercise *some* caution, but keeping things in perspective is a good idea too.

Morning everyone,
    as already mentioned by some of you in a previous post, finding examples in good condition of MK6A is becoming something not very common; and I think this is true, probably because they are produced in a limited number compared to its predecessor GS MK6; and it is precisely for this reason that I did not miss this example that I just added to my collection.
    It has been used but the conditions are really good: size large and 2008 dated.
    The DPM Woodland cover is the original one.

Thanks for looking
    Roberto

British Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alpha

Well done and nice lid...and beautifully presented....thank you

Quote by Composite View Post
    Well done and nice lid...and beautifully presented....thank you
    Thanks Ade, I'm glad you appreciated it.

Regards
    Roberto

Lovely example Roberto and agree with Ade on how well you have photographed your example ,I could learn a lot from you on my photographic skills and so have tried to tow the line as best I can ,a shame no dedicated Mk6A covers were manufactured as far as I am aware , I notice my GS mk6 Alpha has the same GS mk6 cover even down to the serial number although mine has had it's elasticated bandings removed unfortunately my Helmet label has slipped out from the shell and now lies somewhere in my junk pile of a collection but off hand seem to think it was dated 2008 and if you don't mind would like to compare between yours and mine and must point out the helmet and cover are a paired set to a soldier called Ingles .My close up of the penned cover was to show the name of the individual user and not the hair that I noticed afterwards
    Kind Regards James British Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alpha
    Last edited by James C; 06-03-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast