Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

British Mk6 alpha

Article about: Hello everyone, is a bit of time who are looking for a good Mk6 A, I just found this interesting example that I want to share with you. But the thing that left me a little amazed is the date

"Acceptable Number" = as many as you want, can afford, and have space for. It also helps if you don't keep count of them after getting into double figures, less scary that way.

Nature has its own ways of keeping the population down, by periodic cash-money droughts or occasional outbreaks of catastrophic lack of interest. Both of which seem to be rampant 'round 'ere right now.

I would contribute pictures of my own half-dozen 6A, but you know, just a row of black lumps, seen one seen them all. (Unfortunately true, the 6A lacks a certain something compared to the 6. )

Agreed.....though I would argue that if one were positively receptive to covers, bands, torches, scrim and all the other stuff that gets applied to the "black lumps" they can become a lot more interesting :-)

...but lets not re-open that wound......

I've posted these 'in use' photos over in British Composite Helmet History ... but so that the detail is in one place in the thread for Mk6A helmets

In Basra during 2008 with either my Mk6 or a Mk6A specifically issued for the tour (I'm pretty sure it was a Mk6A but I'm afraid I can't be 100% & none of my pictures can confirm) … note use of Osprey rifle attachment strap for helmet instead:
    Attachment 1346472

… definitely a Mk6A as I still have it on issue Wearing of helmets mandated for driving around Camp BASTION in WMIK Land Rover. Here I am near the flight line in Nov 2010 - with bonus for fans of glint tape embellished covers, courtesy of 16 Brigade standing orders:
    Attachment 1346473

Hope these are of interest

...I read recently (but can't find it again!) that the 6A was made from Kevlar whilst the 6 was ballistic nylon. I KNOW the ballistic nylon bit is correct but have often wondered why the Alpha is noticeably heavier........was it made from different stuff?

British Mk6 alpha
    British Mk6 alpha
    British Mk6 alpha

Posting this in the right thread now, yet another 6a courtesy of the REME vet who passed it onto me.

were there any thoughts re #44? Kevlar? Ballistic Nylon? a washing up liquid bottle and a pair of Val's old knickers?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5