Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

British Mk6 helmet

Article about: Hello! It has been quite a long time since I have last posted here, a few years actually now that I think of it. I do apologize for my extended absence, but the years have treated me kindly

Wayne, thans for the information, What I was particularly interested in was if there was some distinguishing feature on a Dunlop shell that I didn't know about (I haven't had one in hand to examine properly). It seemed kind of unlikely but always worth checking. Yes indeed, the final tell is always going to be the crown stamp - it is unfortunate we can't get any of those rubber rivets so that more shells can be examined and reconstructed. Its funny how all the people who claim to be able to get 'loads' of them never come up with the goods.

Actually, now I think about it I did note that a shell from one of the early low-volume producers did seem different in that it was either flatter or rounder at the top than usual. I wish I'd made a proper note of that. Might just have been a dream, though, after too much messing about with DDR M56s.

i typed out a huge reply then deleted it by mistake... :O the helmet i have has a makeshift dpm cover-net thats held in place by a tatty rubber helmet band.. was a job and a half trying to replce them all after a quick inspection of the helmet.. i have pics of the helmet minus cover and will upload them probally be tomorrow.. i was going to contact direct greg as i really do think dunlop needs adding, in all my 30yrs i have never come across such a maker.. it seems the black rivets and even mk6 chinstraps have vanish from the market now.. i'm having to use para chinstraps as replacements..

OK...what's this please? I've seen/got the I.S. ribbed one...and the DPM one which seals at the front via a velcro'd strap....but not one like this. Is that "R.E. Helmet" as in Royal Engineers...or is is simply ABOUT a helmet ie "re""

British Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmet

I'm assuming it Brit...and it's for the MK6.......but the cloth looks odd.....Defence Clothing and Textile Agency (Bicester)?????

Looks like it could be a trial item and the Royal Engineers may have trialled it and as Bicester was a huge a Stores hub would make sense there was a trials team there

Thanks Kradders!

Quote by Composite View Post
    OK...what's this please? I've seen/got the I.S. ribbed one...and the DPM one which seals at the front via a velcro'd strap....but not one like this. Is that "R.E. Helmet" as in Royal Engineers...or is is simply ABOUT a helmet ie "re""

British Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmet
    I tend to agree that RE is most likely part of the description (probably Royal Engineers) rather than the Latin "re" but as you will already realise the label has no military nomenclature as would any official trial item (the supply system cannot cope with this type of labelling). So, my feeling is that it is most likely a commercial product (especially with the "soldier" logo) or possibly a "pre-trial" sample produced as part of the tender process?
    The fact that it is is in ripstop DPM material, it is (?) to fit the Mk6 and that the figure in the logo seems to be carrying a long barrelled rifle similar to the L1A1 7.62mm SLR would, to my mind, date it to a fairly narrow timeframe.

This is all supposition of course as I have never seen one like this before but as a suggestion it seems to fit with my own experience of samples / trial items during my own service. Another example of this type of thing; during the '80s when much new kit was being introduced and the famous "Goretex" began to appear I attended a presentation by manufacturers concerned in the trials process. One was dishing out free samples of Goretex socks for the combat boot which were in temperate DPM with no labels or markings at all. The idea was to get troops to use them and then tell everybody (ie the MOD procurement body) how fantastic they were thus convincing the MOD to take them on (don't think it worked!).

Just an opinion.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Have I cracked this??

and if so it's NOT A Mk6 issue - sorry.

This is an AC600/450 (I think) and I've always wondered about the strange strap across the back with Velcro on the underside.....I'm just making this sh!t up but what do we think?

British Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmet

Thumbs up

Seems to fit very well

....I’ve always thought that I “fit well” with the Cheeky Girls ...but that doesn’t mean I belong there ;-)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12