Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

Article about: Guys, First of all, thank you for deciding to read this thread....I was gonna throw in an "SS" or "FJ" into the Thread name but thought better of it.... I'm starting this

As far as I can tell these rivets are the same in *all* the NP helmets that use the liner rivet system, so there's a lot of them about. It might be a subcontractor, I dunno, all I can say is that some years ago I emailed NP in Coventry and after a bit of to-and-fro a genuinely friendly person sent me a small handul of rivets, so they were obviously there on-site. As you'd expect, really.

They have shown up on Ebay very very occasionally, being sold at truly stunning profiteering prices, hundreds of times original unit cost (I refuse to buy, and so should we all at those prices - don't let these people think they're on to a good thing). Equally occasionally people who are apparently serving soldiers claim they can get them 'easily' but strangely nothing ever transpires from that. I've spent *hours* web-searching for something equivalent and it seems they are a specific design for NP. Every now and then the concept of producing them via 3d-printing comes up, but there are for a start issues with the actual material itself, and then with the deficiencies of the people notionally carrying out the plan (me, for example).

Your analysis of the material and method of production matches mine, and I am *sure* anyone with good scratch-built modelling skills who could make a mould and source an appropriate material could knock these out by the dozen easily. There are doubtless thousands of people fitting that description, but likely none of them have any crossover with helmet-collectors. We've talked about trying it here at home but we'd be coming off from a dead start and we really don't have the time to learn a complete new skill.

As if risen from the grave - Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets UNITED KINGDOM, UK HELMETS, BRITISH helmet, Kevlar helmet - additions and corrections might stimulate new activity.

Hi Greg,

I agree 100% about not encouraging the profiteers!

I think I can explain with near certainty the phenomenon of the "serving soldier". I imagine they have looked in the COSA (Catalogue of Stores and Equipment) which exists in every unit with a QM Dept and these days although I believe the name has changed is online making it even more accessible (you don't have to bribe the QM staff for access to the "Book of Words"). Having consulted the catalogue and found the right part number they (if in the right role) might have tried to submit a stores demand or (if not in the right role) have cajoled a colleague into doing it. However, they will not have realised that it is not as simple as shopping on-line and the demand will have been weeded out as inappropriate. It all depends on unit equipment table authorised holdings, unit role and justifications to name but a few factors. In short it was very likely to stick out like a sore thumb and draw attention. With any item the question would be is this a. authorised or b. justifiable on grounds of the units holdings of associated items? In most cases this would be no.
    As for the rubber rivets we are concerned with here, the combat helmet these days (as I think most of us here appreciate) is a personal issue item held on the soldiers clothing account and if unserviceable is exchanged at the clothing store and the whole thing is backloaded and as far as I am aware disposed of rather than being refurbed unless it is in such good condition generally that it is economic to do so and even then I imagine it would be downgraded to "training use" for new recruits, training establishments etc rather than returning to the system for personal issue.

However, the "Ways and Means Act" can prevail by application of a little guile and low cunning

One fairly effective way was to slip it in amongst a larger demand for items in the same catalogue section, in this case field equipment requiring replacement. This often means that a justification has been submitted and authorised on the grounds that items have been scrapped locally or backloaded etc the relevant documentation being used to support the new demand. So, a pair of straps or a handful of rubber rivets which are very low cost / expendable items (like sandbags, batteries and bog roll really) slotted in the middle will pass unnoticed. When the person receiving the expendable stores legitimately brings them onto account someone requires them and they are issued off the account as "expended". All above board and accounted for!

Things are far more digital now though so any discrepancy down to single digits in a NSN will be flagged which just reinforces my first point.

Maybe the homemade plaster cast moulding kit I had as a child might be the way ahead

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-04-2021 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

That's an absolutely excellent clear and complete explanation, Mark. Lovely! Proper knowledge, always good.

Visor'd 7

late pattern brow pad, visor cover (padded) and fitting instructions. Unique side brackets and somewhat agricultural visor stop system (big bolts) to prevent visor going all the way down.

Cheers Kradders!

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

Properly chuckling at the description of stores processes & the ingenuity of "Tom"! Thought I would put this in the appropriate thread after some discussion elsewhere...

At the end of July 2021 I was issued a Refurb Mk7 (if you zoom in on box you should be able to see through parcel tape) with my Virtus Combat Body Armour etc (as it appears there are too few Virtus helmets in the 'system' for a lower priority like mine)

Sorry, I thought the 'refurb' aspect of the box was the key thing to capture & neglected to photograph the helmet itself; forgetting the label would be of interest! Unfortunately it is in my 'heavy baggage' & won't arrive with me for a few weeks

I can't imagine how uncomfortable that 5 point + leather liner is in 100 + degree temps (38 + for you more cultured Euro types). And the MTP camo covers made in China? Here Lock-Mart-Boeing-BAE can build a $100 million high performance aircraft with Chi-Com mfg circuit boards and chips, but we can't supply Joe & Jane with a camouflage combat uniform using $0.05 Chi-Com mfg plastic buttons.

Is your "sniper tape" (100 MPH Tape to US) alteration to the helmet covers for comfort and hearing preservation instead of the issued drawstring covers blocking your ears? Like comparing the WWII M35 Helmet with a Heer Splinter drawstring cover to the WSS Cover with Rocker Clips.

Quote by falldownjaeger View Post
    Is your "sniper tape" (100 MPH Tape to US) alteration to the helmet covers for comfort and hearing preservation instead of the issued drawstring covers blocking your ears? Like comparing the WWII M35 Helmet with a Heer Splinter drawstring cover to the WSS Cover with Rocker Clips.
    It was generally done to prevent the cover coming adrift & protect it/the helmet at the 'lip' - at least with the older helmets - the covers wear through quickly where they are stretched over it...

Although, I think it became something of a 'fashion statement' too! An alternative used to be to use a band cut from the inner tube
    of a car tyre or similar; at least until realisation that, with fire risk, molten rubber would be even more unwelcome than the sweaty liner!

Here's a new (to me at least) camo approach....MTP "leaves" cut and adhered. Rim piece removed and delamination of shell at the edges

you beat me to it,, its a belter thats for sure..

...it's nice to find a genuine camo'd Mk7 rather than a post-used paint job isn't it ;-)

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast