Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

Article about: I recently revisited a list we created on Gregs old Yahoo forum...this was a list of all the things which are / can be attached to the modern combat helmet ranging from patches to cameras. I

Quote by Composite View Post
    Another "beacon" which apparently came from a helmet although the clip fitting looks more suited to slotting on clothing....

Attachment 1426801Attachment 1426802Attachment 1426803Attachment 1426804

..it's a new model to me.....'anyone? (usually what happens now is someone posts a I've-got-one-of-those"...)
    Why on earth would you have a beacon on a helmet? The mind boggles at the very thought!

Mate..there are LOADS of “Here I am” lights for helmets and kit.......some need special 1st World kit to see them...and others are the equivalent of a bleedin’ light house on ya bonce......

....and then there’s highly reflective stuff too......which fits nicely to all that darkened taped-up kit

It seems to defeat the object of NOT being seen! In my day, when we were out on exercise with the LAD equipment... we were barred from wearing light coloured tops or leaving white towels underneath the scrim for fear of being spotted from the air!

...but since then the aeroplane has been invented...... :-)

Love the Mk 7 helmet foliage holder Ade ,first example i have seen so thanks for bringing these to my attention
    Regards James

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Why on earth would you have a beacon on a helmet? The mind boggles at the very thought!
    Mate..there are LOADS of “Here I am” lights for helmets and kit.......some need special 1st World kit to see them...and others are the equivalent of a bleedin’ light house on ya bonce......

....and then there’s highly reflective stuff too......which fits nicely to all that darkened taped-up kit
    Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    It seems to defeat the object of NOT being seen! In my day, when we were out on exercise with the LAD equipment... we were barred from wearing light coloured tops or leaving white towels underneath the scrim for fear of being spotted from the air!
    Not continuing the digs at Harry's age... As you will have guessed, without going into detail, Compo's "1st World" comment is very relevant! I will say the 'glint' tape isn't actually very reflective in daylight & 'white light' is still only for when the situation allows / emergencies. So all horses for courses & I doubt the stuff would be as widespread / used if thing got hot in eastern Europe again!

Arte et Marte

Whilst we’re discussing (?) all things that glitter do we have any knowledge re when glint squares appeared (‘see what I did there?).....’some time during Afghan right?
    Internationally, quite a while - I got a US 'cat eyes' helmet band while on an exchange in the mid-90's, & they were quite common over there then (either issued or private purchase)!

Can't give you anything specific for UK either, the glint tape has been around much longer than it has been 'common' but in limited supply. However, the widespread use does indeed date from Afghanistan; with a heightened need to identify friendlies & a significant technological advantage over opposition (see post above).

Not sure of exact date but for HERRICK 13 we received stocks (the various types came on rolls to be cut to size) to allow everyone in the entire Brigade's new MTP helmet cover & shirts/jackets/UBACs to have some fitted! I don't recall seeing as much on the outgoing formation's equipment (3 Commando Brigade) but it was probably restricted to forward units rather than used across the whole of Task Force Helmand... as it seemed to be afterwards.

Sometimes enhanced visibility is actually built into the gear itself.....I seem to recall a South African Cap (or was it a helmet cover?) with a relatively large bright orange panel sewn into the INNER crown and when it was required the cap (or cover?) was twisted inside out and refitted.

I have a Desert Dpm helmet cover dated from the 1991 Gulf War that has a few sections of Glint Tape attached which surprised me as I always assumed it was in use much later on
    Regards James

As collectors, should we add bolts-ons to our own helmets? The rules I apply:-

- only if there’s no damage caused to the host Helmet
    - if there’s evidence of something having been there before (like-for-like replacement)
    - that they’re not sold-on as having come together

......these things are now so common despite new helmets coming along with built-in/moulded bits. This thread already shows the plethora of bits that are out there...perhaps they’re collectible in their own right......but that would be like just collecting dome-shaped bits of chicken wire, or cloth covers....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast