Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Iraqi m80 Helmet

Article about: Hi Guys I picked up this guy. The US and Coalition forces have "been in" Iraq it feels my whole life. Always on the news. Books. Film. Ive had some friends (no one brought much of

Much appreciated Mark and thanks for commenting i have also heard the numbers referred to as Arsenal weapon numbers from at least one British collectors point of view who has a few Iraqi Bayo's in his collection with similar markings
    Regards James

James / Mark....interesting (again). It would certainly explain why the mysterious white discs are often overpainted. For a while I wondered “why would someone paint over the equivalent of runes or party badge”...but in reality it was a matter of “why on earth would I go to war with a white Target visible in the side of my head protection?”

Thanks both

Quote by Composite View Post
    James / Mark....interesting (again). It would certainly explain why the mysterious white discs are often overpainted. For a while I wondered “why would someone paint over the equivalent of runes or party badge”...but in reality it was a matter of “why on earth would I go to war with a white Target visible in the side of my head protection?”

Thanks both
    "head protection" You might as well go into action wearing a flat cap, but i suppose they are better than nothing.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    "head protection" You might as well go into action wearing a flat cap, but i suppose they are better than nothing.
    Yep, those lids would perhaps save you from the scathing wit of a drill instructor (or maybe not) but then at least they looked like combat helmets right? Especially at a distance and getting further away

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

That's a very good point Ade and I never really gave it much thought until you mentioned it on the actual reasons for the covering up of these markings with the Tan over paint, because my disc marking is incomplete I now wonder if this is not just normal wear and tear but there was a deliberate attempt to remove it and part way through a decision was made to simply apply the secondary coating instead. I had a look over this netted M80 I have and realised this to has a singular strap like the example Paddy posted, not certain what the replacement webbing section would of originally of been sourced from but noted it had been folded and stitched very crudely and fastened to the chinstrap bail hard wear in the normal fashion but with the excess material folded back on itself and stitched into place to retain it furtherIraqi m80 Helmet
    Regards James

MAP
    ?

Nice pickup! Great looking piece!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2