Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

More French F1 Helmets.

Article about: Hi Guys. Thought you might like to see more of my F 1 Helmets. Feel free to comment, and thanks for looking. Opex. F1 with M-64 Jacket hood. Of the type used in Beirut F1 with Salade cover.

In response to the earlier discussion on the stated similarities between the F1 and Soviet SSH-40 helmet design.

At a stretch I think that you could see the 'dropped profile' around the ears as vaguely similar to the SSH-40 and its derivatives but in all other respects I have to agree that there are no obvious and major similarities. As others far more knowledgeable than me have pointed out the overall profile is far more compact and close-fitting on the F1 without the obvious 'flared' sides that characterise the SSH-40 type helmets. I would advise comparing them from the front or rear and you'll see the obvious differences in the sheer width of SSH-40 type helmets! The liners are also very different with the F1 generations ahead of the classic 3-pad oil-cloth liner of the original SSH-40 and even the later Hungarian and Czech varients (which are still comfortable though).

The whole issue of similarities between helmets is actually quite interesting as the 4-pad Swiss M71 liner is not that dissimilar from the Soviet SSH-68 and the foam-pad support system used on the British MKV liner is likewise not entirely dissimilar from the F1 liner-pad system (though the British liner is pretty crude in comparison and is 'lift-the-dot' removable of course). Always something to consider with helmets which is why people find them interesting I suppose

Yes it is aways interesting to look for similarities like:
    The Frenck M51 with the US M1
    The PASGT with the German M35
    The F1 with the SSh40 and this later with the Italian M933...

We alos need to put those helmets in their historical context as the shape could also be drven by political reason.
    eg the french, UK and german WW2 helmets were driven form their WW1 ancestors to keep the same look, while US and Soviet generated fully new designs.

I wasn' initialy a big fan of the F1 but I must concede it is quite functional in any circomptances.

Bruno

Cheers for showing Fellas
    Here's one I scored today, nothing special.
    Series 3 I guess?

It’s a shame that the UK War and Peace Show hasn’t happened for a while and therefore we’ve not been able to assess the Brexit impact on dealers....as “the French guys” (a big end-of-row stall) usually bring everything French...I remember buying my mint-still-in-paper F1 for £5 some years ago. The next big potential Foreign dealer test will be the Stoneleigh show in Jan....IF it goes ahead

Anyway the F1 is a comfy helmet with good hearing range! TV works!

Here's a pair of police 1992 midnight blue.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture More French F1  Helmets.   More French F1  Helmets.  

Just looking over this thread again and i know it is not an F1 but realised that i have the same marking on an old MLE 51 of mine like ruskin1999's F1 which the french clover symbol on it is best described as a faded light turquoise in colour with a simple horizontal white stripe alongside,quite recently i have asked for advice on the marking on another group i frequent now and then to which the helmet marking feedback amounted to nothing more than just mockery and ridicule and was told it was a very poor recreation of a US ww2 period 3rd Batallion 327th Glider Infantry Regiment insignia but just asking here could there be any chance it could be an early 601th Traffic Regiment helmet ,i had a gut feeling it was a period marking showing some age related wear and tear More French F1  Helmets.More French F1  Helmets.More French F1  Helmets.More French F1  Helmets.

Nice F1 pairing John thanks for sharing and also to say well done sir for taking the time to look for an existing thread without just starting a duplicate new thread on the same subject ,i still need to add an F1 example one day but i did recently pick up this earlier example which turned out to be a refurbished troops airborne M56 ,also i must say i do like your profile picture we look after now and then a little star of a shih tzu called DuffyMore French F1  Helmets.More French F1  Helmets.

?

Just looking over this thread again and i know it is not an F1 but realised that i have the same marking on an old MLE 51 of mine like ruskin1999's F1 which the french clover symbol on it is best described as a faded light turquoise in colour with a simple horizontal white stripe alongside,quite recently i have asked for advice on the marking on another group i frequent now and then to which the helmet marking feedback amounted to nothing more than just mockery and ridicule and was told it was a very poor recreation of a US ww2 period 3rd Batallion 327th Glider Infantry Regiment insignia but just asking here could there be any chance it could be an early 601th Traffic Regiment helmet ,i had a gut feeling it was a period marking showing some age related wear and tear More French F1 Helmets.More French F1 Helmets.More French F1 Helmets.More French F1 Helmets.

Hi James, I did a bit of research about the 601ieme Régiment de Circulation Routière.
    This unit created in 1916 as been disbanded in June 2009.

More French F1  Helmets.

More info from Wikipedia (in french): 601e regiment de circulation routiere — Wikipedia.

Now for your M51 helmet's insignia, you may have a look at this French site, full of photos about French helmets beginning with the M51; LE MODÈLE 1951

You will find examples of M51 Circulation Routière helmets. Then if you scroll all the way down you will see an example similar to yours: CASQUE LOURD AYANT SERVI POUR LES RECONSTITUTIONS DANS LES ANNEES 70. Translated to: Steel helmet having been used in the 70s for an impression.

Hoping that this information will help you with your M51 helmet. If you have translation problems I can help.

For all you guys curious about French M51 helmets this site deserves a visit & a bookmark: http://msgrenot.free.fr/index.htm

Regards.
    Jack

Thanks for the reply Jack much appreciated and it looks like we have done similar research on the subject . i have bookmarked the site you have put up a link for previously and think it was linked under the M51 or maybe the TAP M56 threads ,it is a good site from a french collector showing example collected and perhaps there are more out there to expand upon perhaps
    The reconstitution helmet is most likely a film prop or maybe used by a re-enactor using the closest helmet available to resemble the 506th unit and i suppose the M51's two part construction is a cheaper alternative
    The insignia on mine even if it was a bad attempt by any of the above groups is nothing like the American 327th clubs symbol but is in my opinion very similar in shape to the 601 RCR French clover emblem and has had the outline scored with a sharp implement firstly before the paint being applied and the smoking gun to me is the light turquoise colouration which is hard to capture unless in the right light conditions but can also be likened to that glow in the dark type paint is as best as i can describe it without being in hand .I guess given a period of time and wear and tear which it is showing could have originally been a green colouration ,the part section horizontal stripe is a white colour i may add More French F1  Helmets.More French F1  Helmets.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast