Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ukrainian Kaska 1M.

Article about: Hi all! My latest and most exciting acquisition in some time! A 2019 dated Ukrainian Kaska 1m. From my research there seems to be a dizzying amount of variants of the same helmet called simp

?

Default Ukrainian Kaska 1M.

Hi all!

My latest and most exciting acquisition in some time! A 2019 dated Ukrainian Kaska 1m made by Temp 3000. From my research there seems to be a dizzying amount of variants of the same helmet called simply “Kaska 1m” Kaska meaning helmet in Ukrainian I believe. Most seem to be the same common ACH shape shell with the colour being green or black or both as mine is painted green externally and black internally. It is the liners and chinstraps that seem to vary the most. I believe with the abundance of helmets both domestic and foreign being fielded by the AFU during the war, This version seems to be most common configuration seen in use so far. It is a one size fits all model with an adjustable velcro headband at the back, Adjustable mesh head pad and four point chinstrap. An interesting note is the chinstrap buckle is marked “2M PAT” Just this year has seen another change again with the helmets again remaining the same design but now produced in sizes small, Medium and large. With a different liner again and new green plastic chinstrap hardware as opposed to the all black chinstrap hardware commonly used so far. It came with a 2018 dated MM14 digital camo cover (pictured) and a 2015 dated Varan VSU cover. Despite hours upon hours of watching footage and viewing pictures for reference, I have never seen the Varan helmet cover in use during the conflict. Only the occasional jacket or pants being fielded. I believe there was controversy over the quality of the Varan pattern print produced by three separate contracts back around 2014/15. The pattern would fade too quickly during field use or after only initial washing and it was declared not fit for purpose. So it seems to be exclusively MM14 camo issued to the AFU or a plethora of western type camouflages provided. Mostly multicam. Although given the need for equipment as the war goes on, Im certain it will see use even if limited, The helmet also came with a Ukrainian Airborne forces patch and 80th air assault brigade patch. Overall a great piece of modern military history.
    Regards, Sean.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ukrainian Kaska 1M.   Ukrainian Kaska 1M.  

Ukrainian Kaska 1M.   Ukrainian Kaska 1M.  

Ukrainian Kaska 1M.  
    Last edited by seandm; 08-25-2023 at 11:21 PM.

?

Ukrainian Kaska 1M.Ukrainian Kaska 1M.

Hi all!

Follow up picture with the Varan VSU cover fitted. Varan, I believe translates roughly to lizard. Apparently it was originally introduced exclusively for the Ukrainian 79th separate air assault brigade in 2014 before being adopted by other SF units around 2015/16 before being abandoned by the AFU because of the contract controversy and legal issues. It seems a shame because as modern camouflage patterns go, I would argue this is one of the best patterns out there. The other picture is Ukrainian airborne soldiers on parade wearing Varan around 2017/18. Apparently Varan is still produced and available commercially but rarely seen. My cover is a genuine issue example dated 2015. Apologies for the sideways photos! I have tried to adjust with no luck.
    Regards, Sean.

A nice helmet! I can see why you were so excited to get your hands on it. Despite being very common, these aren't easy to get these days for obvious reasons. Often the ones that come out of Ukraine are completely destroyed, or in such bad condition they can no longer be of any use. Mine's almost identical to yours, but black externally, and the inner net support is black as well. Also nice to see yours still has the label!

B.B.