Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Unidentified helmets acquired from Wagnerites in Eastern Ukraine

Article about: A Ukrainian fellow has asked for help identifying two helmets, which he believes were acquired (loosely speaking) from Wagnerite personnal on the Eastern front. Although both have familiar c

Default Unidentified helmets acquired from Wagnerites in Eastern Ukraine

A Ukrainian fellow has asked for help identifying two helmets, which he believes were acquired (loosely speaking) from Wagnerite personnal on the Eastern front. Although both have familiar characteristics I'm not able to pin them down accurately. Both my Ukrainian friend and I agree they are very likely not Russian, too well finished. Any labels or markings other than a size mark 'L' on the first one shown (in Latin alphabet not Cyrrilic) seem to have been removed. Our theory is they they have been acquired via the international black market arms trade.

This is number 1 - to me it has characteristics of a Chinese product, but if it is a recent product I do not know it.

Unidentified helmets acquired from Wagnerites in Eastern Ukraine Unidentified helmets acquired from Wagnerites in Eastern Ukraine

Unidentified helmets acquired from Wagnerites in Eastern Ukraine Unidentified helmets acquired from Wagnerites in Eastern Ukraine

This is number 2 - has some characteristsics in common with helmets which cannot possibly be related, also looks a little like one or two equally unidentified test/trials helmets European I got years ago - the liner in particular. Either or both of these are very likely to be commercial products rather than actual issue.

Interesting to note that neither seem to have had heavy use.

Hello,
    the second is a Swedish helmet (M2000 ?) manufactured by ODIN BALLISTIC PRODUCTS

Regards

The first seems to me to be a Chinese model. Similar to the QGF-03 model. Possibly an export product.

Regards

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    the second is a Swedish helmet (M2000 ?) manufactured by ODIN BALLISTIC PRODUCTS
    Do you have any references for that? I have two Odin helmets and they have significant differences to the unidentified one. See Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets NORWAY, NORWEGIAN helmet, Kevlar helmet Odin is - or was - a Norwegian company and so far as I know the helmets were not used in Sweden. How many models did Odin actually put out - they did not seem to be active very long

I would agree with your comment sleepwalker ,my first thoughts were also of the Chinese Pasgt export going off the liner system ,these as far as i know are made of steel and not as you would expect a composite material
    Regards James

I'm now reasonably sure that Unidentified 1 is as I first expected Chinese and almost certainly a version of the QGF-03 (see here for comparison - Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets CHINA, CHINESE helmet, Kevlar helmet composite helmets index .

Some interesting points are that according to Wikipedia (and Wikipedia helmet entries are never wrong...) these are in use by Russia but and in the puppet regimes of the Donetsk and Luhansk People's Republics. The original (though probably export version) helmet does seem available to purchase at a couple of online stores, and there is also a 'training' (cosplay? airsoft?) version made of plastic, which is amazingly also available on Amazon.

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Do you have any references for that? I have two Odin helmets and they have significant differences to the unidentified one. See Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets NORWAY, NORWEGIAN helmet, Kevlar helmet Odin is - or was - a Norwegian company and so far as I know the helmets were not used in Sweden. How many models did Odin actually put out - they did not seem to be active very long
    Hello,

Yes you are right. it's norway. A mistake. Otherwise the helm appears to be a variant or copy of the Odin production line.

Regards

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Yes you are right. it's norway. A mistake. Otherwise the helm appears to be a variant or copy of the Odin production line.
    Are you sure about this - the liner 'bolts' are slotted rather than round key-type, and there are differences in the liner, and what's that green strucure on either side - some kind of ear-flap? If anything it is more similar to the Armasure AS44 - Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets NEW ZEALAND helmet, Kevlar helmet

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Are you sure about this - the liner 'bolts' are slotted rather than round key-type, and there are differences in the liner, and what's that green strucure on either side - some kind of ear-flap? If anything it is more similar to the Armasure AS44 - Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets NEW ZEALAND helmet, Kevlar helmet
    Hello,
    I attribute it more to the very similar interior design.
    Regards