Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bavarian imperial sword.

Article about: I need help regarding this one sabre: Original paint-work on the scabbard or re-paint? Paint looks a little odd. Danke Schlange

Default Bavarian imperial sword.

I need help regarding this one sabre:

Original paint-work on the scabbard or re-paint?
    Paint looks a little odd.

Danke

Schlange
    Last edited by Schlange; 08-01-2014 at 08:42 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bavarian imperial sword.
    P
    Many

Anyone else?

Additional photos of paint in the saber scabbard.

Schlange
    Last edited by Schlange; 08-03-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Hi Schlange..my apologies for the lack of replies....still the summer season is upon us..and some of our key Swordsman may be out and about. I will keep your thread in the number one position just below the sticky threads until you get the answers you need. The sword looks to be in great condition..but sharper eyes of detail..would know best. Hang in there..and will keep this thread at the top. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Any thoughts on this from our Swordsmen?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Can we see a close up of the blade inscription?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

A Bavarian Artillery Officer's Interims-Säbel - the early issues had nickel plated scabbards with two rings. And while outside my main areas, I think brass hilts - for the early ones. But this one has what seems to be gold plating over nickel plating (worn in some areas?) and a black single ring which would or could make it later. With the question being is it an original black painted scabbard or a re-paint? With some scratches on the scabbard that could be attempts to polish away signs of re-painting, or is it just a normal but less than 100% perfect period paint job that was somehow damaged over the years? My immediate sense of it is that it could just be a period paint job. Which is sometimes hard to tell because I've also seen a fair number of two to one ring period conversions (not that I am saying that this is one of them) that were subsequently painted black. And while I don't have a comparable Bavarian example, I will see if sometime today or tonight I can check out an original non - Bavarian factory period black painted scabbard to see what I can see. Best Regards, Fred

Hi, Once again Frogprince has stollen the words out of my mouth!!! Well said Fred!!!! Obviously hops better than me?? Once upon a time, I would not touch Bavarian swords but now, I find them attractive and I have aquired about ten of various patterns and quality. Yours is a very nice item and in very nice condition, one that I would be happy to own. Judging by what appears to be over painted chips, the scabbard has almost certainly had a paint job. However, to me that does not detract from either the aethetics or value of the item!! I know that purists may balk at a repaint but not me. If someone puts a nice big scratch down the side of your nice shinny new Cadilllac, do you leave it to rust and look scruffy or so you take it to a paint spray shop?

Please don't say leave it to rust!!!!!

Cheers Michael Ryan

I waited until I could look in both direct sunlight and shade at a period factory painted sword scabbard. Not a perfect one to one match, but there are some slight differences. Sill being as Michael says an overall nice looking sword, and depending on individual perspectives that being the deciding factor. Best Regards, Fred

Day-light photos:

Schlange