Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Blade marked Heer sword

Article about: Hi all! What is your opinion for this home made marked sword? What mean the 5. K.R. 17. /Bamberg? Possibly Third reich period scoring? Thank you!

Question Blade marked Heer sword

Hi all!
    What is your opinion for this home made marked sword?
    What mean the 5. K.R. 17. /Bamberg?
    Possibly Third reich period scoring?
    Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Blade marked Heer sword   Blade marked Heer sword  

Blade marked Heer sword   Blade marked Heer sword  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Blade marked Heer sword
    P
    Many

Neat sword, I like the look of the inscription as period, lets see what others say.. best, Kevin.

Maybe K.R. 17. = 17. Kavalierie regiment ???

One of the things that strikes me as unusual is that it appears to be to an Unteroffizier. Which typically refers to a Unteroffizier ohne Portepee (ie: NCO without portepee (officer's sword knot), that is the normal designation for junior non-commissioned officers that were not authorized Officer's model swords. Best Regards, Fred

Hello,
    I cant talk about the authenticity of such a sword as i'm not specialized in them, but the marking 5. K.R. 17. /Bamberg, means 5. Schwadron of Kavallerie-Regiment 17, Bamberg being the Home of the 5. Schwadron (formation unit)

Lexikon der Wehrmacht - Kavallerie-Regimenter

Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Hi, Without the inscription, I would have considered this to be an officer pattern sword. As a corporal and as Fred says "ohne Portepee" it is my belief that he should have had a plain silver hilted sword. That said, why would anyone, other than the original owner deface such a sword by adding a spurious engraved inscription to a rank so low? If one was going to the trouble of adding such an inscription I would have thought that he would use an officer rank?? Who knows? I personally would accept the sword for what it appears to be and as a nice personalised item into my collection. Thumbs up from me!!

Thank you Alex for showing your sword.

Best wishes Michael R