Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Etched Sabre

Article about: Hi Guys, what do you think of this etch? It's a lionhead sabre with no makers mark. I like the etch actually. Scabbard is repainted imo.

?

Default Etched Sabre

Hi Guys,
    what do you think of this etch? It's a lionhead sabre with no makers mark. I like the etch actually. Scabbard is repainted imo.
    Etched SabreEtched SabreEtched SabreEtched SabreEtched SabreEtched SabreEtched SabreEtched SabreEtched SabreEtched SabreEtched SabreEtched SabreEtched Sabre

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Etched Sabre
    P
    Many

?

The etch looks pretty decent to start with, but i would like to see good pics of the hilt.
    The rivet of the hilt is looking a bit odd, and the quality of the guards eagle is not looking that good either.
    I would say that better pics are needed, as with these bad ones no one can tell if its genuine or a parts original.

Ger

When assessing an etched sword like this the first question is who was the maker, because identifying the maker can confirm if the etching is one used by this maker. Without a known maker for the sword, it leaves the question of the etchings authenticity less clear. My feeling is the sword maker is Paul Seilheimer, (others may have another opinion). My view is based on some decorative features are on known Seilheimer swords.
    If it is a Seilheimer sword the etching should be a sourced from F.W. Holler company and so will have recognizable Holler features, unfortunately it doesn't.
    Moving on the the etching itself, parts of the etching are quite well executed but there are some errors relating to aligning the template and where decorative features touch the borders where they shouldn't. The design of the horse back riders is shown on a known fake in Wayne Techet's book (p 52 ).
    Design wise everything has been thrown in; We have both open and closed wing eagles, two helmets, one the sabres, one with Rifles? (odd for a Cavalry sword). The sabre hilt in the design touches the border which is an error as well.
    The package is completed with a repainted scabbard with newly fitted portepee. Personally I'm not convinced this is a genuine etching.

From what I can see the blade is probably OK, and I agree that the rivet is somewhat unusual looking. What does the top of the hilt/backstrap where a filler/button could be located look like? Best Regards, Fred

Actually I think the rivet is OK. I've seen that type of tube pin used on other Paul Seilheimer swords. The langets are a known Seilheimer type, see below.
    The problem for me is the etching decorative floral devices are not what I would expect on a PS sword.

Etched SabreEtched Sabre

i don't know,but it looks good to me
    i like it