Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Heer Cavalry Sabre Info

Article about: Hey! New collector, new member. I have been trying to find information on Army and SS cavalry sabres by means of the few English-language resources on German cavalry divisions, particularly

To answer your first question, swords were used up until 1941. Here is a place where you can buy one/find out the price:
    Wehrmacht Heer Offizierssabel mit Lowenkopf - Swords - Edged Weapons Germany 1870 - 1945 - Military Antiques

Heer Cavalry Sabre Info
    Last edited by Larry C; 02-07-2020 at 03:06 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Cavalry Sabre Info
    P
    Many

Quote by sb98 View Post
    Wood grips were common too (the one on the left was made in 1916, the other 1885).
    No doubt a wartime matter, 1916 saw the introduction of polished wood (walnut) grips on swords made for the Prussian government. Mostly likely because of a shortage of the earlier materials that were used. Possibly an earlier reworking/refurbishing, the two sabers posted have spanner nuts retaining the hilt assemblies that is sometimes seen with the M 1856 n/A type sabers, and sometimes not. Also, the Officer's sword in the link posted could also have been for someone in the Infantry, Artillery etc. - the Weimar era adopting a government model that carried over into the TR era. Best Regards, Fred

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    To answer your first question, swords were used up until 1941. Here is a place where you can buy one/find out the price:
    Wehrmacht Heer Offizierssabel mit Lowenkopf - Swords - Edged Weapons Germany 1870 - 1945 - Military Antiques
    Thanks, cyclist! One of my contacts brought Weitze to my attention and I made an effort not only to scour their collection but also to reach out and ask questions. The response generally received from vendors is to continue reading, pursuing knowledge (which I am), however it seems that books on the cavalry have more to offer on general and operational history than nuanced information on weapons and gear. If any of you know a German WWII cavalry collector, please send their contact info my way.

The provided URL leads to an Army sword, but it does not appear to be explicitly linked to the cavalry. I would be looking for items that are marked or reliably attributed to Reiter Regiments, or horse regiments. Markings on helmets would be as follows:

Heer Cavalry Sabre Info

Heer Cavalry Sabre Info
    A unit mark for the 7th Horse Regiment.
    Last edited by Kavalier; 02-05-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Just to add to earlier comments, the M1856 type as shown, was issued to both Prussian Cavalry and Artillery officers pre-WW1. This is further confirmed in the catalogues of the time, where the private purchase "dress" etched types are listed. Here's an example of a page from the Carl Eickhorn catalogue of 1908. It's similarly described as in the WK&C catalogue of 1893.

Heer Cavalry Sabre Info

Try this link to the same vendor. He has a few specific Kavallerie Saebel for sale.
    Search for "kavallerie sabel" - Weitze Militaria

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post

Heer Cavalry Sabre Info
    @ Cyclist ... I uploaded the photo from Weitze site..please in the future do not post links. Once the item is sold by the seller ..the reference link becomes dead.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

A minor clarification and an addition for the discussion. The “n/A” signified new model - which is an M1856 put on a diet and made a little smaller. The original M1856 sabers being reissued M1811 cavalry sabers that are the same basic design but noticeably larger. Prussian government issued officer's model sabers for the Imperial era Artillery a minimalist version of the Lionhead, and for the Cavalry saber a basket hilt. Of course for private purchase off duty wear, from a practical standpoint, as the catalog indicates the plainer style of the M1856 was widely accepted for both of those mounted branches. And the TR era not making a distinction for the individual service branches with the hilts. Best Regards, Fred

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2