Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Identification Assistance with German Sword

Article about: Hello, I am reaching out for expertise to help to identify what my son and I believe to be a German sword. I am taking a break from work at the moment and can take additional pictures of the

crap I was looking at the light switch!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identification Assistance with German Sword
    P
    Many

Thank you to everyone that has offered insight on this sword. It has been very informative and intriguing. I do have some follow up questions...
    1. Any thoughts on the manufacturer? From what I can gather if it is Solingen then it could be WKC, or Eickhorn (like the one in the link that I provided) or perhaps another?
    2. If this is indeed rare can anyone venture a guess of what a sword like this would be worth? I think we will keep it, but am curious what it's value might be.
    3. The sword has seen a lot of wear. Is it recommended to have it cleaned up and perhaps even restored? Or do they have more value "as is"?

Thank you in advance for the guidance.

MAP
    ?

Quote by curiousnewbie View Post
    Thank you to everyone that has offered insight on this sword. It has been very informative and intriguing. I do have some follow up questions...
    1. Any thoughts on the manufacturer? From what I can gather if it is Solingen then it could be WKC, or Eickhorn (like the one in the link that I provided) or perhaps another?
    2. If this is indeed rare can anyone venture a guess of what a sword like this would be worth? I think we will keep it, but am curious what it's value might be.
    3. The sword has seen a lot of wear. Is it recommended to have it cleaned up and perhaps even restored? Or do they have more value "as is"?

Thank you in advance for the guidance.
    I can answer the 2nd question. As a rule, we don't discuss valuations on the forum. We are always happy to evaluate authenticity but valuation can be very subjective subject to a wide range of variables. We typically recommend finding comparable condition examples for sale on reputable dealer websites and then take ~20% to ~30% discount. Not always easy if examples can not be found.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

As for maker, I assume you've taken a peek behind the langets, there could be a mark. But I do have a 1905 Carl Eickhorn catalogue and while this sword is not shown, the stylistic features of the hilt and etching suggests to me that Eickhorn was the likely maker. As for value, no idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2