Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jawless Cat heer parade saber

Article about: Hello to all Here is my latest find and that is an unusual one : Basically that is the heer parade saber labelled N° 20 from the WKC period catalog .... An imperial / Weimar type pommel wit

Default Jawless Cat heer parade saber

Hello to all

Here is my latest find and that is an unusual one :

Basically that is the heer parade saber labelled N° 20 from the WKC period catalog .... An imperial / Weimar type pommel with a jawless lion and a langet with either crossed swords or cannons for Cavalery or Artillery officiers as can be seen in the first pictures.

Specificity here is the original cannon langet was moved to the back and the national eagle is on the front langet..... This blade must be a very early Weimar / III°R transition model and the national eagle is applied & riveted to the langet like the very early swaskita models like 1024 for example ...

My 02 cents are this owner was probably an Artillery officier during the Empire / Weimar period and had this special order done by WKC factory at the turn of 1933 -1935 at the lastest ....

Here is the beast :

Hope you like it !

Regards

K.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Jawless Cat heer parade saber
    P
    Many

Nice sword Kurt. I think you are right in the time era. It seems very likely to be a Reichswehr officer sword, from the mid to late 1920's, with a retrofitted TR Heer eagle fitted to the langet. Michael Ryan had some examples like this with a silver eagle pinned to the langet. It's quite possible the owner had it fitted in the early years of the Third Reich, or perhaps more likely after the Reichswehr became the Wehrmacht in 1935. The langet itself could have been modified and hand worked to fit the new emblem at one of the many outfitter shops who retailed swords. It seems these add on eagles were used prior to the sword makers tooling up to produce swords with the TR eagle cast into the hilt fittings. And presumably some officers didn't wish to replace their sword. My own WKC catalogue from late 1930's does not show this model of jawless Lion at all.

First my congratulations for a very nice and unusual German Army saber. No doubt IMO a special custom order - one of my brothers has a business in precision investment castings. While not as good as "in hand", looking at the images my sense of it is that the maker's casting operation modified the actual mold-pattern itelf to be used in making the casting before it was lost in the casting process. Not proven that's just what comes to mind. In any case this one is a "keeper". Best Regards, Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 12-02-2020 at 03:58 AM. Reason: clarification

?

I have seen a couple of these along the years and all are a very high build quality, my best guess is that previous Reichswehr stock was modified to TR, i dont think its special order, as to me its more like a small batch, as they dont pop up on every corner but certainly more then a special order would justify.
    I like these sabers a lot, high quality with a stunning eagle on the lancet.

Congratz and thanks for showing!

Ger

Quote by gerrit View Post
    I have seen a couple of these along the years and all are a very high build quality, my best guess is that previous Reichswehr stock was modified to TR, i dont think its special order, as to me its more like a small batch, as they dont pop up on every corner but certainly more then a special order would justify.
    I like these sabers a lot, high quality with a stunning eagle on the lancet.

Congratz and thanks for showing!

Ger
    Ger, I get your point and you may be correct. My experience has been with some even higher quality Imperial era sabers where some were made (probably in small batches) with a basically neutral outside langet to which was attached an artillery cannon emblem, sabers, or some other emblem as a silver appliqué - which to me made a lot of sense from a manufacturing standpoint. With the inside langet usually something like a blank shield that could be engraved. My thoughts on the special order aspect focused more on the inside langet that would not ordinarily be seen with no known reservoir of branch specific inside langet hilt mold patterns. Although one could be created fairly easily I believe as they were possibly using wax to cast the hilt, and if not then the traditional sand or some combination of techniques suitable for that time period. Best Regards, Fred

Hello to all

Gerrit, you are probably correct as this model is listed in Tom JOHNSON's Heer swords book ... Probably a small batch here ....

Regards

K.

Hello to all

That cat finally got a long deserved springtime clean up and looks like out from the factory again !!!

Hope you like it !
    K.

Impressive Kurt and Great job.
    Nothing is lost in condition.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you Larry
    Actually a friend of mine did it !
    He is very gifted and has returned a few blades from the dead for me !!

Regards
    K.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Jawless Cat heer parade saber   Jawless Cat heer parade saber  

Jawless Cat heer parade saber   Jawless Cat heer parade saber  

Jawless Cat heer parade saber   Jawless Cat heer parade saber  

Last edited by KurtMenliff; 09-01-2021 at 08:15 AM.

?

Great sword Kurt, it is really a pleasure to see such unique examples in our hobby. Beautiful workmanship! Thanks for sharing with us.

As for the renovation / cleaning of swords ... I personally treat it as a last resort, the original preserved examples covered with a solid patina taste best

As for me, this sword looked better before cleaning But it is of course a matter of taste

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast