Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Maintaining Third Reich Dress Sword

Article about: Hello, I recently obtained a dress sword and would like to know how to maintain it. I live in a hot and humid place so preservation is quite an important subject. I apologise if this has bee

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Leave the grip alone ..the scabbard and blade is all you need to apply to.

I cant see in the photos is the Hilt all Brass..or is it gilded gold over aluminum ?

Best Larry
    The parts where the gold seems to have rubbed off show a brownish brass looking surface. But there are also some dents that expose a silvery looking (aluminium) metal underneath.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Maintaining Third Reich Dress Sword
    P
    Many

?

A mineral oil will, in my experience, not harm the metal of the scabbard and blade. The question for me is if it provides enough protection in your climate. Hence also my advice for periodic inspections. Not sure what I would do with a gilded grip.

Maintaining Third Reich Dress Sword

After closer inspection, I can say that they look more like it was scuffed/scraped rather than dented actually.

?

I am far from an expert on these, but to me that looks like aluminium with a coating of copper as a base for the gold plating.

My consideration is that if you put Ren Wax on that it will go in all the intricate details and I don’t know how that looks. Have you ever seen the residue of Brasso on ornamented brass? All white stuff that is almost impossible to get rid of as you can’t get at it. If you apply an oil it might creep under the damaged plating and I do not know what effect that has.

Maybe best not to treat it at all and see how it develops?

Quote by Kilian View Post
    I am far from an expert on these, but to me that looks like aluminium with a coating of copper as a base for the gold plating.

My consideration is that if you put Ren Wax on that it will go in all the intricate details and I don’t know how that looks. Have you ever seen the residue of Brasso on ornamented brass? All white stuff that is almost impossible to get rid of as you can’t get at it. If you apply an oil it might creep under the damaged plating and I do not know what effect that has.

Maybe best not to treat it at all and see how it develops?
    Alright, I'll just wax the blade and scabbard then. The gold and aluminium parts should be fine but I hope the copper won't corrode. Thanks.

?

I have copper water pipes (plumbing) in my house. They have been there for over 20 years. They have turned a shade darker since they were new, just like the exposed copper on your grip has, but that’s all. I would not particularly worry about the copper. Just keep an eye on it.

Some good advice here. I would favour less intervention unless (as other have asked) you live in a humid climate. That sword is in very good condition and I would guess the previous owner didn't have it in a climate controlled cabinet. Just don't put the sword in a garden shed or garage and keep an eye on it and it should be fine.

Quote by Kilian View Post
    I have copper water pipes (plumbing) in my house. They have been there for over 20 years. They have turned a shade darker since they were new, just like the exposed copper on your grip has, but that’s all. I would not particularly worry about the copper. Just keep an eye on it.
    Wow I've always thought copper corrodes almost as easily as iron, especially when in contact with water.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Some good advice here. I would favour less intervention unless (as other have asked) you live in a humid climate. That sword is in very good condition and I would guess the previous owner didn't have it in a climate controlled cabinet. Just don't put the sword in a garden shed or garage and keep an eye on it and it should be fine.
    I'll be keeping it in a rifle case with several trays of silica gel. It's not water-tight like the more expensive ones but it should still limit airflow. It's quite humid here, had a reproduction sword rust despite coating it with oil. I didn't keep it in a case though, just displayed on the table.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2