Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Naval Officer Sword

Article about: Hi All, I am interested in this Navy Officer sword, Imperial era, Gilt is strong, only issue is one missing eye and piece of grip plate is broke(ivory or simulated not sure), the sword is do

?

Mike there are so many different types made by different makers, they all had their own version, and if your wealthy enough you could custimize it completely.
    If your looking at manufactory date the material and logo design are your lead.
    In this case its made before 1916, the rest is hard to tell.

Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Naval Officer Sword
    P
    Many

Lightbulb

So far I found out that the catalogue is from 1906 and this saber was introduced in 1890's

A very similar model is in my 1905 Eickhorn catalogue. As I said in production a long time.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    A very similar model is in my 1905 Eickhorn catalogue. As I said in production a long time.
    Makes sense. Wittmann has in his naval book photo from 90s where a soldier has it. I forgot to mention that main reason I was showing it on the catalogue was that both the sword and catalogue are WKC. It's coincidental but nice match

Sorry, but that is not true in regard to ivory handles. Ivory was not standard it was an extra cost option available from the manufacture. Very nice named sword anyway, just a shame about the damaged grip. Hope seller takes that into consideration when pricing.

?

Quote by Reichsword View Post
    Sorry, but that is not true in regard to ivory handles. Ivory was not standard it was an extra cost option available from the manufacture. Very nice named sword anyway, just a shame about the damaged grip. Hope seller takes that into consideration when pricing.
    Well a lot of imperial catalogues do not even mention celluloid grips on Naval swords and daggers, ivory was the standard.
    For example some Luneschloss catalogues mention celluloid as an option, so the other way around.
    Ivory in these days was not expensive, Germany had their African Colonies and elefants are not that hard to kill

That changed radically after WW1, in the TR it sometimes doubled the price, an army dagger with standard trolon grip costed 12 RM, with an ivory grip 21RM

Ger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2