Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Reichwehr Sword

Article about: Hi! Just bought this Reichwehr Sword on auction. It's maker marked Eickhorn. This is the inly pics i have right now but will take some on the Eickhorn mark when it arrives

?

Default Reichwehr Sword

Hi!

Just bought this Reichwehr Sword on auction.
    It's maker marked Eickhorn.
    This is the inly pics i have right now but will take some on the Eickhorn mark when it arrives

Reichwehr SwordReichwehr SwordReichwehr Sword

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reichwehr Sword
    P
    Many

A plain Jane Eickhorn sword....yes please more photos...this sword resembles model # 40 ...more photos will help.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    A plain Jane Eickhorn sword....yes please more photos...this sword resembles model # 40 ...more photos will help.

Regards Larry
    Same opinion as Larry, the photos here are lacking the very important details of the hilt. Best Regards, Fred

?

Default arrived at last

The sword arrived today and here are some more pics.

Reichwehr SwordReichwehr SwordReichwehr SwordReichwehr Sword

?

Reichwehr Sword

From the new photos I strongly suspect that it's post Weimar. Is the hilt magnetic? Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reichwehr Sword  
    Attached Images Attached Images Reichwehr Sword 

?

Didn’t this Trademark start being used after the Reichwehr?

Yes, the Eickhorn trademark used here is the design first used in 1935, and it's actually the full coiled tail version, which is the earlier version, so very likely the sword was made in 1935, which is the year the Reichswehr was replaced by the Wehrmacht was established. So potentially correct to say it's either Reichswehr or Wehrmacht or both.

?

The hilt is non-magnetic.

So we are pretty sure its made 1935?

Here is the problem as I see it. In the photos it looks like a gold colored finish over a silver colored base metal. 1935 was when copper (used to make brass) became a restricted material with companies still allowed to use it until the supplies were exhausted (that took plus or minus several years depending on the maker). If the hilt is non-magnetic then it's not steel, and either nickel silver (2/3 copper) or pot metal (zinc). Some German makers at first using malleable cast iron and then later on zinc. For me the next step would be outside in natural daylight for a further evaluation with magnification plus in hand. Best Regards, Fred