Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Degen

Article about: Hi all, Hope you are keeping well. I’m after a bit of advice please…. If the SS Degens Blade is 80cm’s , what would the overall length of the sword in its Scabbard be? I have made an e

?

You might ask a picture of the Degen besides the scabbard, that would indicate if its the correct scabbard.
    Could it be he made a mistake in measurement?

So far i see no red flags and I have never seen a press down cap on a repro sofar.

Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 11-24-2021 at 08:20 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Degen
    P
    Many

Thanks for that Gerrit, I will ask for a picture of both laid side by side.

I did wonder if the measurements were wrong.. maybe should of been 100 cm as opposed to 110cm

Looks good. An 80 cm blade is probably the most common length. There were 3 sizes available depending on the height of the officer. 80cm was recommended for those between 1.71- 1.78m tall. There was also a 75cm length blade for shorter officers and a 85cm blade length for 1.80-1.90m tall officers. This information is from one of my period catalogues and relates to the Polizei sword. I would think they would also apply for the SS degen. In contrast, with Heer swords blade lengths came in 12 sizes between 71cm to 93 cm. An 80 cm blade length is close to 32 inches, the average length seen with single handed swords back to medieval times.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Looks good. An 80 cm blade is probably the most common length. There were 3 sizes available depending on the height of the officer. 80cm was recommended for those between 1.71- 1.78m tall. There was also a 75cm length blade for shorter officers and a 85cm blade length for 1.80-1.90m tall officers. This information is from one of my period catalogues and relates to the Polizei sword. I would think they would also apply for the SS degen. In contrast, with Heer swords blade lengths came in 12 sizes between 71cm to 93 cm. An 80 cm blade length is close to 32 inches, the average length seen with single handed swords back to medieval times.
    Peter looking into a period catalogue of Eickhorn there was a lot more to order, look at this page.

Ger
    SS Degen

?

And looking at a 81 cm blade the totale lenght of a Säbel would be 96cm.
    a total length of 110cm would indicate a 93 cm blade, therefore the seller is mistaken in the total lenght or the scabbard doesnt belong to the blade.
    therefore i suggested you ask for a side by side shot of the scabbard and the degen.

I know a Säbel isnt a Degen but there will not be a large difference in grip size.

Regards
    Ger

That really helps … thanks Anderson any Ger … as I thought either the measurements have been given wrong or there is a mismatched Sword / Scabbard.
    If I get anymore info I will update you.
    Again really appreciated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2