Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sword ID/Info request

Article about: The sword in the pics was found in the rafters of a home my sister purchased several yrs ago. She is tired of holding on to it, so she gifted it to me. I can't decide if it's real or some ki

Default Sword ID/Info request

The sword in the pics was found in the rafters of a home my sister purchased several yrs ago. She is tired of holding on to it, so she gifted it to me. I can't decide if it's real or some kind of "costume" sword. I can't find any maker stamp on the sword.

Any thoughts on possible origin of sword?

Was stamping name and date on sword a thing that was done, I assume it is from Germany.

What is the significance of the tassel/portapee thing?

Thanks, I'm new to swords having onl collected rifles in the past.

Paul

- - ------- - -

Now if I could figure out the dang pic attach process....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sword ID/Info request
    P
    Many

Quote by pabyco1 View Post
    The sword in the pics was found in the rafters of a home my sister purchased several yrs ago. She is tired of holding on to it, so she gifted it to me. I can't decide if it's real or some kind of "costume" sword. I can't find any maker stamp on the sword.

Any thoughts on possible origin of sword?

Was stamping name and date on sword a thing that was done, I assume it is from Germany.

What is the significance of the tassel/portapee thing?

Thanks, I'm new to swords having onl collected rifles in the past.

Paul

- - ------- - -

Now if I could figure out the dang pic attach process....
    Hello Paul.

Just repeat the process you used to upload your photos in the introductory post. But it might be worth checking the below link which will show you how to upload your photos here -

Visual Guide to Upload Photos

It is important to take good quality photos that are focused. Photos of all aspects of the sword are needed, eg the blade, handle, any maker marks, scabbard, any fittings etc etc.

Kind regards,

Will.

I think I have figured out a way to get my pics added....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword ID/Info request   Sword ID/Info request  

Attached Images Attached Images Sword ID/Info request 

the black on the handle is plastic...? I have looked a 3rd and 4th time. No makers mark anywhere on the sword or scabbard.

What does the portapee indicate?

thank you!

It is German made, could be Third Reich era or a little earlier, a private purchase Army sword type as bought by an NCO rank soldier. Not uncommon to find, and sometimes without maker mark, though check under the langets on the blade there might be a mark. The grip is covered with a celuloid material. The portapee is not an Army type and could have been added at a later date.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

Paul

?

The langets are the two U-shaped “ears” on each side that protrude over the blade, as marked in red.

Sword ID/Info request

While ordinary Infantry soldiers privately purchased so-called "dress" bayonets to wear while off duty, the mounted forces could privately purchase dress sabers if they were either lower ranks or junior grade NCO's. The senior grades of NCO's entitled to be issued a government model Officer's saber, and/or purchase an Officer's model saber for wearing while off duty. In other words they continued to follow the traditions from the Imperial and Weimar eras. The saber posted (not in hand) appears to be the smaller size dress version of a much, much earlier combat type of Prussian cavalry saber. The TR era cavalry carried government issue sabers that were earlier issued to the Prussian field artillery. Best Regards, Fred

Thanks so much everyone. I have looked on the langets and under them....don't see a mark. There is a little tarnish under the langets so maybe there is a faint mark there somewhere. I'm a little concerned w the boundaries between preserving the history and refurbishing/removing the marks of history. But maybe that doesn't apply here. Safe assumption the name and date on blade indicative of owner and when he got his commission? Or no real way to say?

Thanks, Paul

I took some time to again look over the sword carefully. I took some CLP and a tooth brush and scrubbed on and under the langets. Some crude came up but not maker's mark. I did measure the blade and it is 36" long, base to tip.

Thanks! Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast