Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference

Article about: Cheers Larry!!!!! Regards Michael R

Very short on time this AM, regarding swords from Runkel, both the 1788 and 1796 Cavalry Officer's sabers with engraving decorated blades are seen with a "J.J. Runkel Solingen" on the back/spine of the blade. Best Regards, Fred

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference
    P
    Many

Hello Michael, nice to see you are still frequenting the WRF. Runkel was a sword trader not a maker. He imported sword blades from Solingen makers for sale to British makers, (though he originally was from Solingen and exported from there). It was a fairly significant trade and the Solingen connection to British made swords & bayonets continued to late 1800's. I would agree your sword was most likely a private regiment purchase, probably not from Runkel but to the maker who made the hilt, scabbard and assembled it. Not uncommon with the early LCS to have no maker marks. People often mistake J.J. Runkel as the maker, but he was really just a savy salesman who knew the value of putting his name on blades he supplied. By the way, we can know the date of the sword by the way "Solingen" is spelt. Between 1778 to around 1800 on his sword blades he used the spelling "Sohlingen" after 1800 spelling changes to "Solingen" and after 1808 he leaves the business. Definately a German made blade on your sword.

I should add your photo library threads on Imperial to TR swords is probably the best published resource anywhere.

A full length photo of the sword would be nice, when you have time. regards Anderson.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Hello Michael, nice to see you are still frequenting the WRF. Runkel was a sword trader not a maker. He imported sword blades from Solingen makers for sale to British makers, (though he originally was from Solingen and exported from there). It was a fairly significant trade and the Solingen connection to British made swords & bayonets continued to late 1800's. I would agree your sword was most likely a private regiment purchase, probably not from Runkel but to the maker who made the hilt, scabbard and assembled it. Not uncommon with the early LCS to have no maker marks. People often mistake J.J. Runkel as the maker, but he was really just a savy salesman who knew the value of putting his name on blades he supplied. By the way, we can know the date of the sword by the way "Solingen" is spelt. Between 1778 to around 1800 on his sword blades he used the spelling "Sohlingen" after 1800 spelling changes to "Solingen" and after 1808 he leaves the business. Definately a German made blade on your sword.

I should add your photo library threads on Imperial to TR swords is probably the best published resource anywhere.

A full length photo of the sword would be nice, when you have time. regards Anderson.
    Anderson I stand corrected - something that I had overlooked was the way Solingen was spelled on the earlier swords from Runkel. Thank You. Germany, a world leader in sword production, had over time workers from there that relocated to not just England, but also Russia and France. And in the 1780’s efforts were increased in England to enhance the stature of British makers. A competitor of Runkel, a Mr. Gill published a booklet that listed Runkel as a maker (although we now would very likely use the term importer). And there is some evidence that both swords and blades were imported, as well as some German steel for further processing via Runkel. With what I felt made some of the Runkel marked swords very interesting is that they have the Germanic “Talisman” style blade engravings for decoration, versus the styles seen from some of the British makers. PS: In context, the 1808 date is understandable because the French under Napoleon had taken control of Solingen. Causing a reversal of the flow of some weapons, the Prussian Army then turned to England as an alternate source for swords. Best Regards, Fred

It's an interesting era Fred as is the Solingen connection to what became the UK. Of course it goes back even earlier. Scotland, periodically at war with England was sourcing military equipment, armour and swords back in the 15th century. The Solingen makers even then had a reputation for quality and swords as well as blade "blanks" were inported to be finished by local blacksmiths/armourers. We see this particularly with the Scottish basket hilt swords that often had a blade made in Solingen.The branding on blades of "Andrea Ferrara" during the 16th and 17th century became a quality mark and even though Ferrara was a Spaniard and died in the 16th century the Solingen makers continued to mark their swords with his name into the 17 century. We know this as some are found also with the Passau wolf mark of Prussia. So "Andrea Ferrara" was the brand every wild Highlander wanted on his sword, it was a bit like having the BMW brand on your car today, a status symbol and badge of quality. JJ Runkel was probably trying to do the same with his name in the late 18th century.

?

very interesting and informative thread thank you for its processing !!

?

Sword 39 - Prinz Eugen pommel and ferrule, but crossguard (langets) is made by Paul Seilheimer, look at Angolia book "Swords of Germany" page 121 - the same pattern of crossguard.

Sword 63 - typical Eickhorn Model nr. 1324 Cavalry Officer's saber with lion head pommel.
    Last edited by radko7; 07-21-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Sword 124 (154) Maufactured by Maufactured by the firm of E & F Horster (Horstator, Solwa, Famexi and Monika), the Trade Mark is a vertically aligned sword point down through the initiats "HHS" within a vertical oval ribbon with the wording "-E & F Horster- Solingen".

a. Hilt. Cast in nickel plated steel. The backstrap is attached directly to the blade tang. The grip is of wood with a plastic cover and a brass wire wrap.
    b. Obverse Langet. Plain.
    c. Reverse langet. Plain.
    d. Pommel. Plain dove head.
    e. Blade. Plain plated steel with full size fullers.
    f. Scabbard. Standard pattern black steel scabbard with single ring suspension fitting and a rectangular suspension loop to rear.
    g. Rarety. Common.

Hi, Michael. OMfreakingG!!! I’m so relieved thanks to you! I’m VERY new to researching Nazi militaria and memorabilia. I started seriously about 4 days ago researching my deceased Vietnam Vet father’s fairly small but prized collection of a variety of Nazi things. I’m trying to find out the history and authenticity of everything and what things are worth. Someone is interested in purchasing the eclectic knife, bayonet, sword collection, but I’m trying to find out if the Nazi sword is authentic before I sell it. I’ve been scrolling through your incredible posts about swords. I had never seen the trademark logo on the sword I have, and it was really difficult to make out what it was bc it’s partially hidden by the obverse langet. I was beginning to think it was a fake. Then hallelujah I got to post #137, sword 123, and I finally found the trademark that’s on my sword. It’s the E & F Horster and Solingen logo. But my sword is NOTHING like sword 124. So I’m thrilled but still a little skeptical of it’s authenticity, because I still haven’t found a sword like mine yet. Not sure what to think, but I will continue to look for it in your posts until I hopefully find it. Thanks so much for your amazing wealth of knowledge and your awesome posts!

~Jaime Weiland (Twiggylaine)

You could post a photograph on a new thread and we'll take a look.

Thank you, Anderson. I will most likely do that for sure, but to be honest, I’m absolutely amazed and dumbfounded at the incredible variety of swords that exist. I had absolutely no clue how enjoyable and interesting researching my dad’s collection could be. I’ve quickly become a bit obsessed with learning about everything. I’ve taken copious notes as well. I feel a very strong NEED and curiosity to finish looking through ALL the swords in Michael’s posts. Then, if I still don’t find one like mine, I will most definitely post and ask you and the other wonderful people/experts on this incredible site.

Hi Jaime, Many thanks for your message and positive comments. I am glad to hear that you found the logo for which you were searching and that this thread is still in use.

Your sabre (sabel) is, in design, common to sabres purchased, issued or presented during the First World War and carried by mounted units of the Imperial Army. It was largely modeled on the 1796 British and Blucher German pattern cavalry sabres. The pattern was carried forward through the Weimar period and throughout the Third Reich (TR) period. Pre 1918 Imperial weapons tend to be of a more functional and heavyweight style whilst later production sabres are lighter in manufacture and more elegant in overall appearance. Imperial blades can be found in both metal and leather scabbards with metal fittings and finished in chromed, nickel, blued and black finishes with the majority of post 1933 items finished in black. Plain "Dove Head" hilted sabres are often referred to as of "NCO Pattern" but were also carried by officers and other by personnel of other governmental formations such as the fire services etc.

Your sabre is, or appears, in my opinion, to be an early manufactured TR item of standard pattern with a nickel plated brass guard and black plastic grip with brass wire wrap. It appears to be in above average condition and original. As for value, in the UK, I would rate it at circa £150+. In my opinion, a common but nice quality specimen

I hope that this response is of both use and interest to you and I wish you well in your future research.

Cheers Michael R

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast