Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Troddel / Sword Knot Database

Article about: I was reading Azphils post yesterday and it dawned on me that there are quite a few threads on this subject, is there a central database on this ? After all the post's, threads and discussio

?

Default Troddel / Sword Knot Database

I was reading Azphils post yesterday and it dawned on me that there are quite a few threads on this subject, is there a central database on this ? After all the post's, threads and discussions why has one not been started for reference ? I guess if original here's a start, forgive me if there IS a database on the Forum, I couldn't find it, delete this post if a Mod would like to start fresh, G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Troddel / Sword Knot Database  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Troddel / Sword Knot Database
    P
    Many

HI G...Im all for a data base that would help support this hobby. I dont see any threads also and you or someone else are more than welcome to start one separately of course.

The question would be how to differentiate the Sword Knots from the Dagger and bayonet knots.
    Also I know that some daggers and swords use the same knots..so it appears to be a challenge and you are welcome to create a data base which I will pin to that forum.
    Go for it

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry, Thanks, but I think I would be a poor candidate for the subject at hand, hopefully there will be better qualified at some point in time to approach this endeavor sooner than later, G

?

That is a great idea G!!

Quote by Larry C View Post

The question would be how to differentiate the Sword Knots from the Dagger and bayonet knots.

Regards Larry
    Yeah there would need to be a Troddel/Portepee section. That would cover all.

Just a thought.

I only have 2 of these, so I have never really dug into the fine details about them

Semper Fi
    Phil

There is information on sword portepees in the archive threads though scattered. The troddel was a knot for a bayonet while a portapee is an officer knot for a sword. But it gets a little complicated with senior NCO swords having "faustriemen" or a troddel for a sword/bayonet.

Sticking to officer sword portepee, what I've learnt is that the Imperial style portapees were redesigned in 1924 for the Reichswehr and were continued into the Third Reich practice. Before 1925 a Heer officer sword would have a green leather strap with 2 rows of silver bullion thread and a silver knot. But sometimes we can see a portepee with a black leather strap and two rows of bullion, which is also for a Heer sword. These may be transition types before the 1925 type came in.

Post 1925 for a Heer sword expect to see a black leather strap and 3 silver bullion rows of stitched thread with silver knot and grey fabric knot dot.

The Polizei officer sword portepee also is black leather strap, 3 silver bullion stitched rows, silver knot with dot of black, silver & red.
    The Polizei NCO portapee was black leather strap, 2 rows of silver bullion & 1 centre row red thread, a green & silver stripe knot with green dot.

Feuerwehr (Fire Police) officer sword portepee; black leather strap, 3 rows silver bullion thread stitches, silver bullion knot with Carmine (red) dot on end.

Bahnschutz officer sword / early SS portepee; black leather strap. 3 rows of silver bullion stitches, silver bullion knot with black fabric dot at end.

Luftwaffe senior NCO used a faustriemen for either a sword or bayonet. This was like a Heer NCO knot (green/silver wreath & silver tassel) with grey leather strap.
    Luftwaffe officer sword portapee was all silver bullion cord and knot.

Not complete, by any means. But the main knots we see. Be interested in Billy G commenting as he is probably "the man" when it comes to these.

?

So, based on the post these are Police related ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Troddel / Sword Knot Database   Troddel / Sword Knot Database  

Troddel / Sword Knot Database   Troddel / Sword Knot Database  

?

Police, per Anderson..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Troddel / Sword Knot Database   Troddel / Sword Knot Database  

Last edited by Gwar; 12-08-2020 at 11:28 PM.

Both Polizei, officer and NCO types.