Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Wilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damaged

Article about: Hi! Here is a 1889 NCO sword. I have doubts about the originality of etching, whether the scabbard is suitable here and whether it is realistic to replace the handle. it looks good, but the

Default Wilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damaged

Hi!
    Here is a 1889 NCO sword.
    I have doubts about the originality of etching, whether the scabbard is suitable here and whether it is realistic to replace the handle.
    it looks good, but the handle...Wilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damagedWilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damagedWilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damagedWilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damagedWilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damagedWilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damagedWilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damagedWilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damagedWilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damagedWilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damaged
    Please help, regards Tom.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damaged
    P
    Many

Tom, It looks to me like an enlisted man's KD89 private purchase sword for wear off duty. If for an NCO then one of the lower ranks (or below). The blade looks OK with the timing of the punch engraving(?) uncertain. The major problem of course being that most unfortunately somebody cut off a significant portion of the basket type hand guard, or maybe ground it off because the handle itself seems to have had something done to it also (from a grinder or a sander). From the images the scabbard is probably OK, but it might also have had something done to it or not - it's hard to say given the lighting etc. PS: The knot appears to be a TR period German Police type that I'm reasonably certain was a later addition. Best Regards, Fred

The etching is not the problem with this sword, (it's a fairly standard Imperial Guards etching), the problem is the hilt. Some abuse has taken place there and really need a photo from different angle to see just what has occurred. But to me it's not worth even considering a sword in this condition, unless being given away. The knot... a sad and inadequate compensation for hilt damage.

Thank you for your opinions.
    I really like the work on the blade, "Attacking Cavalrymen".
    I really wanted to have one.
    However, the price of 600 euros and the hilt changed, so I do not know what to decide.
    it’s just such an etching that I like and is well preserved.

Please help me with plastic grip dimensions. I need length and width at the 2 places where it matches metal hilt.
    I found on candidate for spare parts

I believe, I ll be lucky and will repair the sword. So strange that it is written "German".
    Anyway hope you will share your opinion
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damaged   Wilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damaged  

Wilhelm Finke etched cavalry sword, beautiful & damaged  

You'll end up with a weird parts hybrid. But it's your money.

Maybe a contract or other type basket the one posted is totally not appropriate. If your heart is absolutely set on making the sword complete again, I don't know where you live, but at some shows I've seen broken or incomplete Prussian swords that could provide a hilt and grip that would become 'organ donors' for a restoration. And if you had the old hilt with you it might help in approximating the size, and if there would be a reasonably good fit. Best Regards, Fred