Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Kavallerie troopers sword

Article about: Hi everybody. I am trying to find some decent pictures of a WWII TR cavalry troopers sword. I can't find anything on the web, nor on this forum. If anybody could post me a link, I would be g

Default WWII Kavallerie troopers sword

Hi everybody. I am trying to find some decent pictures of a WWII TR cavalry troopers sword. I can't find anything on the web, nor on this forum. If anybody could post me a link, I would be grateful.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII Kavallerie troopers sword
    P
    Many

The German Army in WWII had horse-mounted personnel, but there were no Cavalry Units in the traditional sense of early WWI or prior...
    The only exceptions I'm aware of would be the SS Florian Geyer Division, but sabers weren't a part of their weaponry as far as I know...another exception were the Cossacks in German service with their Shaschka-Sabers...The old style Cavalry was obsolete and German mounted personnel were not trained to fight with sabers...
    Glenn

The Kavallerie regiments of WWII (18 in total) carried swords up until 1941, after which, they were discontinued, hence their rareity.

The 1st Kavallerie later transferred to the 24th Panzer Division and as such, were allowed to carry on using the Gold/Gelb waffenfarben

Will move this thread to Third Reich Swords forum.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The TR era Kavallerie sabers are reworked and reissued Imperial era Prussian artillery enlisted men (M1856 n/A) sabers. The Cossacks in German service used the Russian 1927 pattern saber (which are a slightly modified version of the Imperial Russian 1881 pattern Cossack sabers). Both pictured here side by side, and in use during the TR era. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Kavallerie troopers sword   WWII Kavallerie troopers sword  

Attached Images Attached Images WWII Kavallerie troopers sword 

Though the photo at the top, presumably from 1940 shows a sword with a straight thrusting blade from what we can see of the scabbard outline. Certainly a longer straighter blade than that M1856 sabre. And that's expected given the international trend to long straight cavalry blades by 1900.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Though the photo at the top, presumably from 1940 shows a sword with a straight thrusting blade from what we can see of the scabbard outline. Certainly a longer straighter blade than that M1856 sabre. And that's expected given the international trend to long straight cavalry blades by 1900.
    Point noted, it's true that straight blades for cavalry were trending upward in the late 19th and early in the 20th century. But I think that it may be overlooking the fact that the pictured saber is not at an oblique angle - and that the further one side moves away from the oblique it will be as completely straight as the blade would be if it was held out in front of the user. Other earlier German Army photos showing sabers with “P” style guards. And that some ex-Prussian M1856 n/A sabers have a straight-wing TR Depot/Overhaul style stamping that to some extent looks similar to a Waffenamt. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Kavallerie troopers sword   WWII Kavallerie troopers sword  

Good point.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I have a book on the kavallerie, and even it only has a hand-drawn sketch of a TR era sword, which is why I was looking for some good close-up photos. I wasn't being lazy, I just spent a couple of days searching without success. I did find a thumbnail picture on a cached Weitze web page, but wouldn't blow up.

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I have a book on the kavallerie, and even it only has a hand-drawn sketch of a TR era sword, which is why I was looking for some good close-up photos. I wasn't being lazy, I just spent a couple of days searching without success. I did find a thumbnail picture on a cached Weitze web page, but wouldn't blow up.
    I understand the problem, good information can take some time and effort to find - and the relative scarcity (much harder to find than some daggers) doesn't help. For example: Not that long ago on another forum a legitimate TR era German Army cavalry saber surfaced and was immediately "shot down" by many there who said it was a fake. Of course there was some 'discussion' as a part of enlightening, and it seemed that quite few of them had never actually seen or heard of the German Army government issue cavalry sabers. Best Regards, Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast