Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen in Gold or bronze?

Article about: Good afternoon everybody. I have just bought this Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen, which the dealer sold to me as bronze. I have no problem with the authenticity. My question is more of a vote rea

Default Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen in Gold or bronze?

Good afternoon everybody. I have just bought this Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen, which the dealer sold to me as bronze. I have no problem with the authenticity. My question is more of a vote really. Having seen it in the daylight, it looks more like gold to me. The pin and catch are both coated in gold, although this might be hard see as my camera doesn't take good pictures of anything in gold. I have taken a picture alongside my bronze example, which is not really a good comparrison as they are from different manufacturers. Anyway, let me know what you think about the grade. Many thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen in Gold or bronze?   Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen in Gold or bronze?  

Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen in Gold or bronze?   Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen in Gold or bronze?  

Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen in Gold or bronze?   Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen in Gold or bronze?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen in Gold or bronze?
    P
    Many

?

It looks more gold than bronze to my eye but different manufacturers, different lighting may say something else to other people.
    It just doesn't look as gold as you might expect a gold one to look.
    It might be a very shiny bronze.
    Hard to tell.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I am convinced that this is the gold example for the simple reason that no manufacturer would gold plate/gild the pin and catch assembly for any bronze award. Just look at examples of gold wound badges that have absorbed all their finish. You only need to see a little bit of gilding on the reverse hardware to convince yourself that it is gold. I have posted some more photos. One taken in daylight with the original camera and a couple taken with my phone. Even so, one really needs to hold this in the hand to be sure. If I hadn't have thrown an element of doubt into the equation about the possibility of it being bronze, I don't think anybody would have questioned it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen in Gold or bronze?   Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen in Gold or bronze?  

?

It definitely looks gold in those photos.

This makes it extremly rare. I have been looking for one of these for a long time. The dealer I bought it from sold a gold example at the beginning of the pandemic- somebody just beat me to it. I asked if he had another one and he said he didn't. Yesterday when I bought this one, he let me have it cheap, as he had had it a long time and sold it to me as a bronze example. I immediately saw the gilding on the catch and pin and recognised it for what it was, a gold badge. After giving it a light clean with meths (grain alcohol in American English), it now sparkles in the sunshine.

Back to the award, the gold version was only awarded 63 times in total between 1930 and 1945. It only went to professional horsemen who had won several competitions.

I now have the complete set