Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen

Article about: last thread tonight i promise . same detail, whats the story behind this decoration and is it a replica or real? Thanks

A manufacturer variation, maybe? I have noticed a slight shade difference from medal to medal. The ribbons seem to be as varied in colour as the medals themselves.
    Makes you wonder if there's a consistent colour difference in the ribbons depending on the particular manufacturer.

B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen
    P
    Many

?

I heard a different scenario.. Hmm..
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Okay, I work away from home so when I am home I will upload some closer detailed images. However, inspecting mine and comparing it to other variants of the ribbon it seems like the weft is different which is why I originally thought it was a copy. Most of the originals i have seen have a looser weft which 'u's over giving it that continuous look, whereas my ribbon has move of a seam or stitch up either side of the weft. As said earlier though I will continue to research and upload pictures when I can. Another item I have been looking at on Ebay is the original envelope with the original letter for the medal. Although it isn't the envelope and letter for that exact medal is it worth purchasing just to have the complete item?

Some collectors don't like 'marrying' items in such a way, but I personally don't see anything wrong with it. As long as it's made clear, whenever you may come to sell it, that the award and packet are not original to each other. Having them together in your collection, for the purpose of having a complete set, is absolutely fine. After all, it's not like these medals are exceptionally rare or desirable. At the end of the day, what matters is that you're happy with your collection.

Regards, B.B.

Thousands of these were found in their packets some time back all without ribbon. Wartime Ribbon is actually hard to come by that's why you see so many in packets married up with post war ribbon. The op's ribbon "looks" to be post war

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Thousands of these were found in their packets some time back all without ribbon. Wartime Ribbon is actually hard to come by that's why you see so many in packets married up with post war ribbon. The op's ribbon "looks" to be post war
    Agree, i also think that ribbon is fake.
    Best regards,
    Franko

You can get different coloured original ribbons depending on if it's a 1st pattern or 2nd pattern

Here are some original and fake ribbons spot the difference?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen  
    Attached Images Attached Images Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen  Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen  Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen 

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    That's the story I heard as well. Apparently, they were found in a factory after the Berlin Wall came down, and as said, all without ribbons. That's why they are so cheap and mostly come with modern ribbons.

Could this of been one of the most common medals issued during the Third Reich period. I read somewhere that over 800,000 of these medals were issued!

Quote by jonnyhahn View Post
    Could this of been one of the most common medals issued during the Third Reich period. I read somewhere that over 800,000 of these medals were issued!
    Yes this actually is one of the most common award of the Third Reich, and that number of the recipients is correct, but iron cross second class, war merit cross with swords second class, war merit cross without swords second class, eastern front medal, war merit medal are issued in a few milion each.
    Best regards,
    Franko

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2