Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen First Issue

Article about: I have had this West Wall medal in my collection for several years and have always wondered about it. I know that these were produced in high numbers and are fairly common for this reason. I

Default Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen First Issue

I have had this West Wall medal in my collection for several years and have always wondered about it. I know that these were produced in high numbers and are fairly common for this reason. I have also owned a 1944 "Second Issue" example and the differences between the two are immediately noticeable, especially regarding weight in hand and overall color tone.

This example has strong details that match up with other good examples I can find images of and the ribbon does not react under UV light. The only part that is troublesome to me is the ribbon ring and it's attachment point on the medal itself. It appears to be less "substantial" than most examples I can locate. No maker's mark can be found on the ring. I know that many small firms crafted these during the War and obvious variations resulting from this process must surely exist, but still the ever-present "Shadow Of Doubt" looms silently in the background!

What say you? Genuine example or a reproduction? I appreciate any opinions you would be kind enough to share and I am hopeful this medal will retain it's esteemed position in my collection!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen First Issue   Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen First Issue  

Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen First Issue   Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen First Issue  

Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen First Issue   Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen First Issue  

Last edited by rbminis; 05-09-2024 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen First Issue
    P
    Many

I have edited the title of your thread.
    Please read the following thread regarding posting in the Orders and Decorations section of the forum.
    The Use of German Terminology.

You are correct, an original tombak version of this award.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Agree with Ralph, I see no problems with it.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

May have been produced in the tens of thousands but your medaille shows quality that is all too often missing from cheap fakes. Crisp detailing, nice one as already mentioned.

Thanks all for the kind words and reassurance, glad this one still has a home on the shelf!