Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen - Rudolf Souval wartime or postwar?

Article about: Hi again, still going through the recent badges. This one is a high seas fleet badge made by Souval, and I wonder if there are any clues to tell if this is wartime or post war? I have seen s

I have to think this is a wartime compatible badge,looking at the reverse hardware and colour of the basemetal.

if i still collected KM awards i would not have a problem having this one in my collection.

Regards,Martin.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen - Rudolf Souval wartime or postwar?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Thanks for the feedback Martin

So what do you collect now?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Map,

I don't collect awards anymore,with the exception of the occasional Hilfskreuzer award.
    I have about 40 HK awards.
    Now i just collect photo's showing the HK awards in wear and HK award documents.

Cheers,Martin.

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    It's as clear as mud gents, Some Souval badges have barrels that touch the wreath, some don't.
    So where does this leave us? Does anybody have the explanation for this? Is it a result of two different dies or is it something else?

I had always thought it a faily good recognition feature but now it seems it isn't

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I have no answer Mark.
    All i can say is that i have seen accepted wartime compatible examples in both forms.

Cheers,Martin.

Gents, i was often told many years back that the post war Souval "cutout catch" was deliberately used because in many cases it was the only distinguishing feature to tell the age as original wartime dies were still in use......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Very true, but I wonder exactly when did Souval start using the cut out catch? Regards ,Paul

?

Hi Guys,

As you know, for Souval's output for the most part we deal in grey and black, with almost no white. "Wartime compatible" refers to construction and finish that is compatible with Souval's wartime production but blends seamlessly into post-war leftovers and assembly -- this is the "grey" and we can't tell them apart. The "black" are all the patently post-war badges which include the ones with the sheet metal cut-out catches mentioned previously.

As far as "wartime-compatible" Souval Fleet badges go, I've classified them as FC# 2.4.1, 2.4.2 and 2.4.3:
    2.4.1 - zinc, marked "R.S.", smooth outlines, narrow-flanged sheet metal hinge soldered within raised oval outline, long pointed round-wire pin, "question mark-shaped" round-wire catch
    2.4.2 - zinc, marked "R.S.", rectangular sheet metal hinge soldered over raised oval outline, long pointed round-wire pin, round-wire catch on round base plate
    2.4.3 - zinc, marked "R.S.", wide pin setup (post-war?), round-wire catch on round base plate

Here are two examples of each type for reference. I favour the 2.4.1 with the smooth outlines and question mark-shaped catch as the earliest and most likely wartime construction (they're less common as well). The 2.4.2 is by far the most common variant which is the type in the opening post. Some of the 2.4.2 examples have a bit of additional hand-cutting under the eagle's wings and separating the gun barrels from the wreath but otherwise are not that different from their siblings so I never gave them a separate classification number. The 2.4.3 look suspicious to me for post-war assembly and finish but I've given them the benefit of the doubt to stay in the classification system.

I've also attached two examples of post-war Souvals with the cut-out sheet metal catch typical for their later post-war production, probably late 50's early 60's. By this time they were not using the original dies and were casting their own designs and others so the R.S. mark was lost from the reverse, but they sometimes stamped them with a small "L/58" for good measure.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen - Rudolf Souval wartime or postwar?   Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen - Rudolf Souval wartime or postwar?  

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen - Rudolf Souval wartime or postwar?   Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen - Rudolf Souval wartime or postwar?  

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen - Rudolf Souval wartime or postwar?   Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen - Rudolf Souval wartime or postwar?  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2