Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Friday afternoon on the Karneth Minensuch-Kriegsabzeichen production line.

Article about: Here's a badge you don't come across often, one that escaped quality control. It is a Rudolf Karneth badge, I think version M3.1.5 although the placement of the maker's mark lays between thi

?

Default Friday afternoon on the Karneth Minensuch-Kriegsabzeichen production line.

Here's a badge you don't come across often, one that escaped quality control.

It is a Rudolf Karneth badge, I think version M3.1.5 although the placement of the maker's mark lays between this variant and M3.1.6.

As can be seen in the photos it has had a double strike from the trimming die. There is a distinct extra edge to the left side of the waterspout and the left outer edge of the wreath and right inner edge of the wreath. You can also see the right outer edge of the wreath and left inner edge are missing a portion of the oakleaves.

The eagle also has extra material and the swastika has a chunk missing from the lower and right areas.

What is curious however is the hinge, which is cast into the reverse of the badge, retains it's central position whereas the catch is plainly off to the left as we view it.

Were these stages of manufacture separate? If so, why is the catch not placed more centrally and if not, why is the hinge still in it's central position when everything else is off to the side.

You can also see on the double edge of the waterspout the edges have a gilt finish and the main waterspout and step of extra material are coloured silver. This points to a precise application of the silver finish, possibly a spray from above. I don't believe the badge has been refinished, it is in mint condition.

Perhaps it was picked up by quality control after all and kept unissued and untouched in a box after it was made.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Friday afternoon on the Karneth Minensuch-Kriegsabzeichen production line.   Friday afternoon on the Karneth Minensuch-Kriegsabzeichen production line.  

Friday afternoon on the Karneth Minensuch-Kriegsabzeichen production line.   Friday afternoon on the Karneth Minensuch-Kriegsabzeichen production line.  

Friday afternoon on the Karneth Minensuch-Kriegsabzeichen production line.   Friday afternoon on the Karneth Minensuch-Kriegsabzeichen production line.  

Friday afternoon on the Karneth Minensuch-Kriegsabzeichen production line.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Friday afternoon on the Karneth Minensuch-Kriegsabzeichen production line.
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Adrian View Post

What is curious however is the hinge, which is cast into the reverse of the badge, retains it's central position whereas the catch is plainly off to the left as we view it.

Were these stages of manufacture separate? If so, why is the catch not placed more centrally and if not, why is the hinge still in it's central position when everything else is off to the side.
    Hi Adrian,

Very cool M3.1.5.

The catch is always to the left of midline on M3.1.5 anyway. It just looks more exaggerated on this example because the outline of the water plume is shifted to the right by the misplaced trimming die.

BTW, viewing from the obverse you can see more flashing on the upper left than on the lower left and more evident above the left wing then on the right. This tells us the trimming die wasn't just shifted to the left but also shifted slightly up and very slightly rotated clockwise. That's why the R.K mark and the hinge appear to sit a tad lower than usual on the reverse.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

?

When you compare to the boring "normal" example attached here , you see that the not only the catch but also the hinge appears shifted to the left and slightly rotated, again because of the shifting and rotation of the trimming die in the opposite directions.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Friday afternoon on the Karneth Minensuch-Kriegsabzeichen production line.   Friday afternoon on the Karneth Minensuch-Kriegsabzeichen production line.  

?

Thank you for your valued comments as always Norm. I completely get what you're saying. I compared it to my regular M3.1.5 and the catch on that one is slightly to the right of centre but obviously not as much as this one.
    It's hard to see on the photos but in hand the whole badge looks slightly skewed out of shape because of the twist or rotation applied from the trimming die.

?

I like it a lot better than a "normal" badge -- it has character!

?

Absolutely. I thought it was an interesting anomaly to add to the collection.

It’s a very attractive award for sure. The wreath has the same gold tone as some of the Imperial Pickelhaube Wappen that were fire gilded.

?

For a zinc award, it's in superb condition.

Indeed,great condition.

Cheers,Martin.