Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

GWL U-Boots-Kriegsabzeichen

Article about: Here's my GWL Uboat War badge . It's in very nice condition considering it's age. I really like GWL's quality

?

Here's another but with replaced main pin -- does indeed seem to be a variant.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GWL U-Boots-Kriegsabzeichen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement GWL U-Boots-Kriegsabzeichen
    P
    Many

?

And here's one with the same cutout and partial GWL mark, but the GWL mark is in a different position.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GWL U-Boots-Kriegsabzeichen   GWL U-Boots-Kriegsabzeichen  

?

Another. Looks like I'll have to add this variant to the classification table. I assume the "Type 2" is the later version after some damage to the GWL stamp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GWL U-Boots-Kriegsabzeichen   GWL U-Boots-Kriegsabzeichen  

MAP
    ?

Would love to see that variant table once it's updated Norm. I have your others for other awards and they are very helpful
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Norm F View Post
    Hi Ralph,

Are you referring to the shape of the space to the right of the eagle's neck when viewed from the reverse? I have images of another example like this on file -- images attached -- which interestingly has the same partial GWL mark as on "humble collector's" example. Never thought of it as a variant but I guess maybe it is -- will have to look out for more examples.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Thank you Norm.
    Yes, that is what I was referring to.
    I also see some differences, from the reverse, around the base of the conning tower and the flag.

I just don't want to give members the wrong information.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I also see some differences, from the reverse, around the base of the conning tower and the flag.
    Ralph.
    An excellent observation. I’ll devote some more time to studying these and hopefully update the thread and the classification system next weekend. (Unfortunately, real life will intervene in the meantime!)

Best regards,
    —-Norm

?

An update. Inspired by Ralph's observation, I searched around a bit and came up with 4 variants of maker mark as seen here, and despite the minor variations in outlines around the eagle's neck and conning tower mentioned previously, I don't yet see any red flags suggestive of Staegemeir or his cronies. For the time being, I'm willing to accept all four of these as legitimate variations attibutable to different tool sets or tool wear.

Type 1 - the entire maker mark
    Type 2 - the three-quarters mark
    Type 3 - the half mark positioned in the upper right
    Type 4 - the half mark positioned in the lower left

(The images are considerably downsized in resolution in the uploading process for some reason but hopefully good enough.)

GWL U-Boots-Kriegsabzeichen   GWL U-Boots-Kriegsabzeichen  

Thank you for taking the time, and effort, to research this and put this valuable resource together Norm!

From what I am seeing, the first two types have similar cut outs around the eagle's head and shoulders. And type 3 and 4 have similar cut outs in this area.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    From what I am seeing, the first two types have similar cut outs around the eagle's head and shoulders. And type 3 and 4 have similar cut outs in this area.
    Ralph.
    Yes, exactly.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GWL U-Boots-Kriegsabzeichen  

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Would love to see that variant table once it's updated Norm. I have your others for other awards and they are very helpful
    Here's the latest version of the comprehensive U-Boat badge classification table -- I hope it's still legible as the image resolution is down-sized by the forum software.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2