Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Luftschutz-Ehrenzeichen 1. Stufe Schickle on medal bar

Article about: The WW1 Iron cross is a WW2 Iron cross made by schickle as well as the Luftschutz medal . Rob

I am suspicious of the Luftschutz 1 stufe as the suspension ring looks different to that of known examples. The detailing also looks poor for such a prestigious award. Hopefully I am wrong, but wait for other opinions.

Luftschutz-Ehrenzeichen 1.Stufe Kreuz

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftschutz-Ehrenzeichen 1. Stufe Schickle on medal bar
    P
    Many

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    I am suspicious of the Luftschutz 1 stufe as the suspension ring looks different to that of known examples. The detailing also looks poor for such a prestigious award. Hopefully I am wrong, but wait for other opinions.

Luftschutz-Ehrenzeichen 1.Stufe Kreuz
    Well, that does raise some questions.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

My personal opinion on this is that the original recipient received the LS second class to go with his "cement shoveller" West wall medal. Many years later, somebody decided to inflate the value by substituting it for this rather poor cast LS1 copy. Let us think logically for a moment: the LS 1 was only awarded 147 times during the war, and then only after being authorized by Hitler's personal office. What would be the chance of such a rare medal being so poorly made and then being awarded to such a worthy recipient?

It is interesting to note that the OP hasn't responded to any comments that I have made. Initially, on page 1, he solicited comments regarding this award more than once. When he received favourable comments, he seems to have left it at that. It does make me wonder if he was using this forum's initially favourable, though erroneous, comments to use as a means of validation to sell the grouping for what would be about $1200 to $1300 retail price.

Considering it was first posted in 2019 and brought back up in 2021, it doesn't surprise me that he has not responded.
    He has not been back on line here since Dec. 12, 2020.
    We have members that return every day after posting and don't respond to other posts on their threads.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Sorry, didn't notice the original posting date. I thought it was recent.

This award was posted on another forum.
    This photo was also posted there. If this example is from Otto Schickle, I don't believe there is a problem with it.
    Ralph.

Luftschutz-Ehrenzeichen 1. Stufe Schickle on medal bar

The original still looks poorly made. Check out the two file marks on the inside of the upper part of the top right cut out. Also look at the right arm for what appears to be a missing chunk of metal, which was then guilded. We Could do with the opinion of Norm F on this one, he is the real expert on this award.

?

Hi Guys,

In my opinion, the Luftschutz 1st class on the medal bar in the opening post is likely a rare original by Schickle -- In fact, only the second example that I have on file as a likely original Tombak Schickle-attributed, the other being the one from Angolia. As mentioned, it's a match to the Schickle catalog with the "central IM" design. The hand-cut internal cutouts and file marks are typical of Tombak badges of that type, similar to the finishing method of the Deumer-attributed medals.

The medal shown previously in the comparison to the Schickle catalog image is, in my opinion, a cast reproduction of this type. Here you see that one compared with a segment of another one of that type and also the opening post example. Notice the stippling pattern of the copies which is actually more of a "pitting pattern" due to the loss of detail and the differences in the text as well.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftschutz-Ehrenzeichen 1. Stufe Schickle on medal bar  

?

Lol the cyclist! Waiting for your apology. You sound like a member of the squad. Rob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast