Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftscutz medal opinions please

Article about: Looking for help with this one. I have had it in my collection for a number of years. I recently decided to move it on. The buyer has returned it and said these were only produced with a alu

Default Luftschutz medal opinions please

Looking for help with this one. I have had it in my collection for a number of years. I recently decided to move it on. The buyer has returned it and said these were only produced with a aluminium ring and this one is incorrect. Thoughts ?
    Regards Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftscutz medal opinions please   Luftscutz medal opinions please  

Luftscutz medal opinions please  
    Last edited by TIMOWSKI45; 10-01-2020 at 03:43 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftscutz medal opinions please
    P
    Many

What is that marking on the ring? is it a number, or just some damage? Here is mine for comparrison, which has been validated by other members. I have just checked the ring, and it is non-magnetic. I don't feel qualified to pass comment on the authenticity of yours. Hopefully others will chime in soon.

Luftschutz-Ehrenzeichen 2. Stufe

I'm still learning these, but from first glance it just doesn't seem to have the quality of an original, I maybe well be wrong, but compared to the real one you can see where I'm coming from? (Although the ring does look good?)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftscutz medal opinions please   Luftscutz medal opinions please  

"Per Ardua"

Hi, the number looks to be 13 on the ring

MAP
    ?

The comment that they only had "aluminum" rings is incorrect IMHO. A quick search shows them in tombac as well as this common wire.

I don't study these and have never held one, so not sure what they were made out of. But assuming it followed the typical pattern of other TR awards (where higher quality metal like Tombac and cupal and aluminum were stopped for the production of awards), to me, this looks like a later war zinc example. Although the details do look weak.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I've had a few of these and the earlier "heavyweight" medals seemed to have better crisper detail, the later awards did seem to have softer detailing. Strangely some of the repros I have seen have better detail than the genuine late war examples. Map is right about the suspension rings.

Thanks for the replies. I think the comparison above is the (my) lightweight late version against the early medal. I will try and get a close up picture of the ring marking.
    Regards
    Peter

Quote by TIMOWSKI45 View Post
    Hi, the number looks to be 13 on the ring
    if the maker mark is 13, then that would be Gustav Brehmer, who is not a known maker of this award according to the following thread:

Luftschutz-Ehrenzeichen 2. Stufe - Förster & Barth (10) and Katz & Deyhle (60)

Having looked through a magnifying glass im not sure what the mark is?

Looks more like some form of damage to me. Still, as others have stated above, not necessarily a fake