Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Narvik shield

Article about: I have a gut feeling this one is an original at least by the patinated looks of it. Please can anyone verify my thoughts. According to the seller it used to be part of the John Spiltstead co

JAN.....I am certainly not promoting FAKES, but I am impressed by the quality of this NARVIK.

If my Swedish Navy Officer Niklas were a serious collector of NARVIK, he could use it as an "ice breaker" to start a conversation with guests.....Doug.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Narvik shield
    P
    Many

JAN.... I would like to again compliment bsiwula1 on his use of JUXTAPOSITION.

Swedish Navy Officer Niklas is the trustee of perhaps the largest collection of Schedel'sche Welltchronik folios in private hands in Sweden, some 400+ folios. The focus...IMMITATION IS THE HIGHEST FORM OF FLATTERY. The 1493 originals are placed in juxtaposition to their 1496/1497/1500 pirated copy FAKE counterparts.

I assume that you have a serious hoard of war relics. If you happen to have an original REAL NARVIK, I would suggest buying REAL STEEL 's $20 dollar "trinket" to place in juxtaposition in your collection. It would be an inexpensive "ice breaker". If REAL STEEL 's trinket were REAL, thousands upon thousands of others are poor FAKES of it.

Narvik shield.....Narvik shield
    Last edited by stakeside; 10-24-2017 at 12:27 AM.

JAN....While Sweden managed to maintain its official neutrality throughout World War II, neutral quite often was defined as "non-belligerent" and many concessions were made. When the Soviet Union attacked Finland in the WINTER WAR ( November 1939 ), Sweden supported Finland both on a humanitarian and military basis. As many as 8000 Swedes volunteered to fight with Finland.

One of Niklas' relatives fought in operation Silver Fox ( Silberfuchs ) near Petsamo and his Swedish helmet has a bullet hole as a reminder. When they dug it out of his wood shed, they were unpleasantly surprised to be attacked by wasps who had built a nest in it.

I suggest that your HOLY NARVIK had a similar fate. Not necessarily a wasp infestation, but humidity and condensation that went through cycles of pooling and puddling on the surface followed by drying. The zinc is just now starting to come through the gilding.

This helmet is Niklas' ICE BREAKER because most of his younger generation friends are ignorant of Sweden's involvement in WW II.....Doug.

JAN...your NARVIK has attracted the attention of some very motivated and talented members, but I trust you realize this NARVIK is most controversial and far too easily faked. When you do take photos I would like to refer you to....

REAL STEEL 10-19-2017 Navy NARVIK Shields in Discussions. His juxtaposition of four narviks front and back is an excellent example of the straight shots needed for comparison.

MAP....post #30 in NSKK 1st Model crash helmet adler? started by ALIKAT 10-17-2017. I agree with what he says....."research is more fun than the item". MAP 's photos show things in incredible detail and perhaps he can teach us all how to do so. I specifically mention this because there is another member who might be needed for further analysis of your HOLY NARVIK.

ROSSI.....a tool and die maker of molds for casting.

My own experience is in stamping, cold forming and injection molding. I feel that you will need all four of us for this reason.... I contend that we just might have no REAL confirmed NARVIK to compare yours to. I invite everyone to consider a NARVIK opening post by INKA 11-13-2015 which was called a DEUMER type 1.2 but the reverse does not let us know whether it is stamped or cast. The other NARVIK opening post by PAULSCOOT 07-10-2017 was called a DEUMER type II zinc and the reverse tells us that it has been cast. Both DEUMER have been declared REAL by a much beloved member, BIG NED. If one is stamped and the other is cast, it only adds to the confusion. Besides, HOLY NARVIK appears to represent yet another manufacturer, so FAKE OR REAL in your case becomes problematic because what are we going to compare yours with ? ? ?

Narvik shieldNarvik shieldNarvik shield

............INKA.................................. ..................PAULSCOOT

I would advise you to NOT disturb the back plate of HOLY NARVIK to expose the reverse. You should be able to make a guess by the weight and let us know what you think. I most certainly do not want to be a "wise guy", but I agree with REAL STEEL 's mixed feelings about expert consensus. Even the best badge "GURUS" have problems with NARVIK, yet the collecting community must have faith in certain decisions and act according to their beliefs. I myself will continue searching for an example for comparison and drink beer until REAL STEEL, MAP, ROSSI, BSIWULA1 and 6 other members declare me drunk enough to lie down.

However, there are also concerns that your HOLY NARVIK may be similar to this small "4" posted in the NARVIK FAKE GALLERY by PANTHERV 10-05-2008.

Narvik shield

Jan
    ?

I would like to thank you all for the constructive discussion on the Narvik shield. I decided to pass on the item. It´s in a very poor shape of preservation original or not. I have learned a lot from your comments here and I´m truly grateful for that.

Best, Jan

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6