Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Nice Aircraft Destruction Badge

Article about: Known by its German name, Tieffligervernichtungsabzeichen (Special badge for shooting down Low Flying Aircraft,utilizing only small arms weapons (1945) the badge is comprised of a blackened

Default Nice Aircraft Destruction Badge

Known by its German name, Tieffligervernichtungsabzeichen (Special badge for shooting down Low Flying Aircraft,utilizing only small arms weapons (1945) the badge
    is comprised of a blackened metal plane on a silver cloth strip with two black stripes for shooting down one aircraft. There is no set monetary value as only twenty-seven allegedly were ever awarded. This same badge was awarded with a gilt metal plane on a gold cloth strip with two black stripes for shooting down a fifth aircraft. There is also no set value as none were thought to ever have been awarded.

Originally from an unknown German estate, it signifies a single act of bravery performed by this soldier. Eventually finding its way to the United States into a thirty-year
    collection on the West Coast, this rare cloth sleeve patch has not often been seen since very few had ever been presented or have genuine examples emerged from this wartime period.

This example was a veteran’s bring-back, where and how he obtained it is not known as the veteran’s estate knew nothing about it.

I will be offering this item at the upcoming MAX Show - remember, everything is negotiable.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nice Aircraft Destruction Badge  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nice Aircraft Destruction Badge
    P
    Many

Default re: Nice Aircraft Destruction Badge

Hi Richard,could you post closer pics of both sides please. Stewy S

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    Hi Richard,could you post closer pics of both sides please. Stewy S
    Presently I don't have a photo of the reverse however, I will take some closer photos when I return from the MAX Show ... just have too much prep still to do for the show. I have my portable camera setup already packed to take with me.

Depending if it's not sold at the show.

I just wanted to add that I will be showing this item to a long respected collector Bob McCarthy who goes back to day one with this hobby. Some of the members may know of him. His opinion one can take to the bank. He is from the old school as I am and one of the few in this hobby who's opinion is valued.

This is indeed a very rare badge, wow !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

As a side note to my original post that began this thread. Back a few years I came across some information on the WAF (quite a large topic) regarding the TDB (tank destruction badge). There has always been a belief that the tank and back plate of the TDB must be magnetic to be genuine. You would logically conclude that this would hold true for the ADB as well. However, the information stated the following:

"There is definite proof of a non-magnetic (TDB) type. The so called Buntmetal version (copper or brass) and also a aluminum or zink (zinc) type did or does exist. Thanks to collectors in Germany this questionable topic is now cleared up".

I'm not certain as to when both the TDB and the ADB were instituted however, based on the above one may logically conclude that pieces produced in late war may have been of the buntmetal type. This was also the case with other combat awards as most collectors are aware of.

So, what does all this mean? It indicates that we can always learn something if we keep an open mind. I doubt if we will ever know all that was and exactly how it was produced during the T.R. period.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Hi Richard,the TDB was instituted March 9th 1942. Stewy S

Richard,

All the flannel aside, do I understand you are selling this badge as an original?

If so what would you expect the value to the punter would be?

Kind regards

Jock

Quote by jock auld View Post
    Richard,

All the flannel aside, do I understand you are selling this badge as an original?

If so what would you expect the value to the punter would be?

Kind regards

Jock

Jock
    After speaking with several collectors I believe that a fair price, considering everything, that I can negotiate downward from $1200.00 US. What it really comes down to is what someone is willing to spend for it ... I will always entertain a half cash half trade offer for anything.

I'd like better pics really. I've never seen a genuine ADB. I thought they were fantasy pieces. Stewy S

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    I'd like better pics really. I've never seen a genuine ADB. I thought they were fantasy pieces. Stewy S
    I really don't believe that it will sell at the MAX as most of those who come in don't have the financial means. Some may but most don't. When I unpack my camera stuff on return and still by some chance have the badge, I will take several photos of it to post.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast