Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Ostmedaille - Winterschlacht im Osten 1941-42 Is this an original medal?

Article about: I picked up this medal at the local market on the weekend. Not in a very good condition, but I hope its an original. Any opinions on this medal?

?

Default Ostmedaille - Winterschlacht im Osten 1941-42 Is this an original medal?

I picked up this medal at the local market on the weekend. Not in a very good condition, but I hope its an original. Any opinions on this medal?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ostmedaille - Winterschlacht im Osten 1941-42 Is this an original medal?   Ostmedaille - Winterschlacht im Osten 1941-42 Is this an original medal?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ostmedaille - Winterschlacht im Osten 1941-42 Is this an original medal?
    P
    Many

Hello,

No, unfortunately, this is a known and quite spread repro/fake.

All the best,
    Sindri

?

Thaks for your answer!
    Sad to hear that, anyways, could you tell me what detail gives it away as a fake? I'd like to know what to look for next time. Thanks in advance!

Well, it's a little hard if one is not very familiar with the Ostmedaille.

But it's of the wrong material and cast.
    If you make a close inspection of it and compare it with an original Zinker you should see it.
    It often comes with well made but fake pouches marked with yet another maker it portraits along with fake ribbons etc. (even wrapping paper).
    So it's all mixed together. These sets were for sale by the dozens at some of the biggest dealers some time ago.

But it's always tricky as Zink is such an unstable material and Ostemdaillen come in so many conditions, there are original ones that look worse than this one for example. Tricky stuff!