Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.

Article about: Here we have another tick off my Minesweeper list, a badge attributed to Alois Rettenmaier from Schwäbisch-Gmünd who are still in business. The badge is a zinc example as all attributed to

?

Default Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.

Here we have another tick off my Minesweeper list, a badge attributed to Alois Rettenmaier from Schwäbisch-Gmünd who are still in business.

This is variant M2.11.1 on the Classification Table.

The badge is a zinc example as all attributed to Rettenmaier are although seemingly coated with a silvered wash prior to the gilt application. You can see in the photos there is clearly base metal grey, a silver layer and then a gold one on the worn areas. The reverse bears a full unworn coat and the edges too.

I wasn't expecting it but the badge is of surprising quality, nice detail and has a good weight and feel to it, certainly not the rough piece of zinc I was expecting.

The hinge is a typical wrap around sheet metal type with narrow flanges, round needle pin and the round wire flat based catch which unusually opens to the left is mounted on a rectangular base plate. I believe I'm right in saying this is the only Minesweeper badge where the catch opening is on the left.

The reverse is unmarked and shows horizontal striations which is typical for this variant and as can be seen on the edges, the striations or shear marks are diagonal as defined by the striking process.

This one came with a 16mm stickpin which has surprising detail and quality for such a small item but I have no idea if the pin is original as this is my first and I don't know anything about them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.   Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.  

Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.   Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.  

Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.   Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.  

Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.  
    Last edited by Adrian; 02-13-2024 at 07:37 AM.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.
    P
    Many

I'm not too familiar with stickpins but the badge looks like a good zinc Rettemeier.

Cheers,Martin.

Another nice addition to your collection Adrian!
    Rettenmaier IAB's can be found with right, or left, opening catches also.
    The contrast in colors give it a nice appearance.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Here's my Rettenmeier Hilfskreuzer.

Cheers,Martin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.   Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.  

Congratulations Adrian! A very nice looking award and great condition too!

It’s always enjoyable to see a fellow collector tick another one of their holy grail list!

Andy

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I wasn't expecting it but the badge is of surprising quality, nice detail and has a good weight and feel to it, certainly not the rough piece of zinc I was expecting.
    This one came with a 16mm stickpin which has surprising detail and quality for such a small item but I have no idea if the pin is original as this is my first and I don't know anything about them.
    Yes indeed, this variant has a nice heft to it! Not very desirable to the general public but a cool item for us Minesweeper variant collectors.

The stickpin is very interesting. It's not one of the "usual" types and looks like an early example with hand cut margins instead of using a standardized trimming stamp like we often see on more common minis.

One possibility is an early Schickle before the use of the standardized trimming stamp of later examples, but I really don't know. Attached is a typical example of the "Schickle-attributed" miniature using the standardized trimming stamp, giving it the unfortunate appearance of someone "giving the finger". Schickle and S&L shared this obverse design, but have different trimming margins. There are indeed cast reproductions of this design but they look quite messy in comparison.

All that is to say, I don't know who made that mini but I like it so far. What does the knurling on the pin look like?

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.  

?

Hello Norm,

Thank you once again for your opinion on all things Minesweeper. I've attached another photo of the stickpin below that shows the knurling which seems to be going in the opposite direction to most other stickpins I've seen. I've also noted in my limited searching thus far that most pins are attached to the waterspout whereas this one is obviously attached to the eagle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rettenmaier (attributed) Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände and stickpin.  

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Hello Norm,

Thank you once again for your opinion on all things Minesweeper. I've attached another photo of the stickpin below that shows the knurling which seems to be going in the opposite direction to most other stickpins I've seen. I've also noted in my limited searching thus far that most pins are attached to the waterspout whereas this one is obviously attached to the eagle.
    Hm. I'm not concerned about the pin attachment since you can find wartime Minesweeper miniatures with the pin attached either to the central portion or to the upper margin (notably the L/21 F&B minis have the pin at the top). However, I am a bit concerned about the direction of the knurling. It's not a deal-breaker but the vast majority of "opposite" knurling pins are post-war. Also, on second view, when I lighten the image of the reverse I see radial stress lines on the surface that are more typically associated with casting rather than die cast production - another potential cause for concern.

Having said that, if it's a post-war casting as it's starting to seem, then it's the best quality one I've seen so far.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

?

It was sold with a question mark next to it and it was in effect a freebie with the full sized badge which is what I purchased so not the end of the world.
    The quality and finish is rather good which has given me an open mind on it so I'll be keeping my eye open for anything similar.