Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What is this SS Wiking award

Article about: Hi all, Can someone tell me what this is and if it is original? Thanks! If this is the wrong place please move this to the right one thanks!

The guy i know perosnally detected this piece two days ago near Korsun. Looks the similar to the badge in this old thread
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this SS Wiking award   What is this SS Wiking award  

What is this SS Wiking award  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is this SS Wiking award
    P
    Many

Hmmm, I didn't see this thread when it started but I have to say that I really don't rate these pieces at all.

Mainly because the format appears to be that of a commemorative piece and as such not something that would be worn on a field uniform if worn on uniform at all. Therefore, why would it be found on a battlefield? I am also not keen on the style of inscription wording and the absence of any dates.

It is the very nature of a commemorative to refer to a specific circumstance such as a particular action or battle which of course means it would by definition be produced "after" the battle was over and the nature or outcome is decided.

This one purports to commemorate a whole campaign "In the East" so again what is it doing on a wartime battlefield? Also, I think it a little odd to be commemorating a camaign in the "East" that was still ongoing at the time of Korsun. The prevailing circumstances at the end of the war meant there was likely no motivation and certainly no opportunity to produce something like this until long after the cessation of hostilities when German society was returning to peacetime orientation and individuals had less urgent priorities to satisfy before commemorations of a less than auspicious history.

Finally, I am not expert ion the orbat / organisation of the Waffen SS but should the unit in question not be styled "Panzer Artillerie Regiment" by the latter part of the war?

This looks to me at best like a post war souvenir of the many veterans associations annual "Treffen" that occurred from the '60s onwards.

These were never high end quality for obvious reasons although some were better than others and something of this design is typical and would have a ribbon suspension.

Obviously SS Treffen would be more discrete even as general Wehrmacht veterans associations became more overt with time passing but they did happen.

Just my thoughts but not something I would look twice at really.

Regards

Mark
    PS This one doesn't look like it has been in the ground for 80 weeks let alone 80 years>
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2