Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any ideas what this is please?

Article about: Hello everyone Has anybody got any idea as to what this is in the attached photo please? Any comments would be appreciated. Many thanks John

Default Any ideas what this is please?

Hello everyone
    Has anybody got any idea as to what this is in the attached photo please?
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    Many thanks
    John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any ideas what this is please?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Any ideas what this is please?
    P
    Many

What is that in the opening under Deutschland? and can you provide the dimensions; how high' how wide' and how heavy it is? It appears to be a desk eagle, but that opening had some purpose that might be the clue as to what it is all about. I can't tell if the opening is large enough, but it might have been a cigarette drawer. Nice looking bird. Dwight

Some people on this forum have talked about these eagles before and call it a fantasy piece.

Thanks Dwight for your reply. Sorry I only have this photo at the moment. I’ll try to get dimensions and more photos.

Thanks for yout reply sweersz much appreciated.

Quote by sweersz View Post
    Some people on this forum have talked about these eagles before and call it a fantasy piece.
    The slot / recess looks about right for a perpetual calander mechanism if this is desk ornament size but I agree and think it is a post war fantasy piece. An original piece would be manufactured to a higher standard than this I believe.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Mark. To me the eagle’s legs didn’t look good enough for the usual German attention to detail.
    Regards
    John

I’ve added some more photos The eagle is bronze and the plinth looks like marble. The height is 18” including the base. Width of the base is 10”. Width from wing tip to wing tip is 11”.

Any further comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any ideas what this is please?   Any ideas what this is please?  

Any ideas what this is please?   Any ideas what this is please?  

One more photo showing base
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any ideas what this is please?  

Well I'm still thinking definately "4th Reich" and in these pics the quality looks even less like Nazi period standard for this type of thing. I am not convinced it actually is bronze as at that size the metal would have a disproportionate scrap value. I suspect it is likely spelter (an alloy of zinc and lead) with a bronze finish possibly lacquer. However, there is a possibility looking at the colour that it could be brass with a dark finish to look like bronze but even then the scrap value of the metal would be more attractive than the ornament. A great deal of cast brass ornaments darkend with a bronze like finish are sold on the tourist markets in India.
    The plinth is crudely put together which again is indicative of much later and low end production.

The base might be marble and much marble originates on the Indian sub-continent (see where I am going with that?) and these days is relatively reasonably priced especially at source in less than massive chunks.

I still have no idea of the intended purpose but remain convinced that it has nothing to do with WWII or the Third Reich.

If it's really cheap, I mean no more than mid 2 figures it might be a useful backround to a display but I don't believe it has any collectible value either as militaria or statuary in general.

Where is it anyway?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast