Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...

Article about: Hello collectors, Thank you for taking to time to look at this post. I would very much appreciate your feedback on these 2 eagles. Would like to know if you think they are fakes/replicas bef

Default Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...

Hello collectors,

Thank you for taking to time to look at this post. I would very much appreciate your feedback on these 2 eagles. Would like to know if you think they are fakes/replicas before I get serious about a potential purchase. Pretty sure these are not authentic, but you never know unless you ask

Eagle #1 seller description:
    Extremely wonderful WWII German Railroad Train Eagle, used to attach to the front of locomotives and box cars during the reign of the Third Reich. It measures 25 inches across which is the rarest size of all the locomotive eagles. The reverse is marked with the compound elements in the center of the eagle which read "GAL-Mg-Si B" (Gal=Galvanized Aluminum, Mg=Magnesium, Si=Silicon), and along the bottom the abbreviations "RZA 10"=Reich Zug Adler(Train Eagle 10), and BLN=Berlin.

Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...

Eagle #2 seller description:
    Extremely wonderful WWII German Railroad Train Eagle, used to attach to the front of locomotives and box cars during the reign of the Third Reich. It measures 29 inches across which is the rarest size of all the locomotive eagles. The reverse is marked with the compound elements in the center of the eagle which read "GAL-Mg-Si B" (Gal=Galvanized Aluminum, Mg=Magnesium, Si=Silicon), and along the bottom the abbreviations "RZA 13"=Reich Zug Adler(Train Eagle 13).

Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...

Again, thank you for your time, expertise and feedback!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...
    P
    Many

I won't claim to be an expert but I do have a few... I'll give a definite thumbs down on the second, and a I'm not interested on the first. I am a devout skeptic with respect to the un-machined mounting lugs.

raz
    ?

Both copy's from same BAD dealer IMO . Wait for more input .

The seller's descriptions are a bit hyped so that is off-putting, and the rarest railway eagle size obviously can't be both those sizes, haha (the 35" ones are actually the rarest). I own a bird too and honestly nothing on these eagles screams fake to me like some of the other fake ones I've seen, but I am not an expert or perhaps I am unaware at how good fake railway eagles can be.

Some of the original railway eagles were never mounted so the studs were virgins, so when GIs brought them home, they sometimes drilled holes in them or did other things to hang them up.

The casting quality looks superb on both eagles. I like the second one better because it has patina and isn't so clean, but the 29" size throws me off (perhaps it was measured as approximate and is actually closer to 28"?). Maybe JR Meda or another expert will see this and chime in.

?

The 2nd eagle is a reproduction Wehag maker, without a doubt.
    I've seen the first example "B" maker. In my opinion, that too is a post war example.

?

Here is a period example of the discussion taking place here:

35" rail eagle
    Wehag 28"
    B maker 24"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...  

?

Wehag
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Railroad eagles - are the authentic? Your assistance please...  

?

B eagle

Thank you doug6zj9, raz, sweersz and RJMeda for your valued input on these items. I really appreciate you taking the time to review these and give me your feedback!