Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hello from South Africa

Article about: Hi all, I am based in South Africa and have long had an interest in military history. I have a few items in my own small collection (Difficult and expensive to collect this side of the world

Quote by Dopplegarp View Post
    Hi René, bringing in a strong foreign currency will really allow you to find some steals this side (As you have mentioned has happened). I find WW1/WW2 militeria can be a bit hit and miss (Especially if you don't know where to look, like myself), but if you are interested in 1960's - 1980's stuff, there are many amazing finds, and usually for good prices (Even for locals).
    Ahh when I was there the Rand was stronger, not sure on what part of the country you are from? but my Wife's home town "Springs" in GP there was only one shop (pictured) I did find a bunch of good ZA WW2 items + post ww2, doubt the shop is still there! I did score good kit US, UK & German in a gun shop (good prices) in Alberton.

--Ahh I now see you are from Durban haven't been there but I bet the beach water is nice and warm there, long way off from Jo'burg! I couldn't find bits even in Cape Town!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-23-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added text

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hello from South Africa
    P
    Many

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Ahh when I was there the Rand was stronger, not sure on what part of the country you are from? but my Wife's home town "Springs" in GP there was only one shop (pictured) I did find a bunch of good ZA WW2 items + post ww2, doubt the shop is still there! I did score good kit US, UK & German in a gun shop (good prices) in Alberton.

--Ahh I now see you are from Durban haven't been there but I bet the beach water is nice and warm there, long way off from Jo'burg! I couldn't find bits even in Cape Town!
    Durban is generally nice and laid back, hot and sweaty summers with pleasantly mild winters. Beaches are always a treat to swim at

Unfortunately, most militeria dealers are based in the bigger cities such as Johannesburg and Cape Town. Most of the more modern stuff in my collection is from family members who fought in the Bush war, and I was supremely lucky in having a friend of a family friend pass on their grandfathers trophies collected during his time in North Africa, as well as bits of his own equipment (I think he was an artilleryman). All of the items stayed in his kit bag from the day he came home until he died. Once I can take some nice pictures, I have a lot of questions around identification and upkeep. Apart from wiping them with a dry cloth, I have not done anything to them. Hopefully there will be some interesting items for the more knowledgeable on the site to get excited over!

Cheers, don't worry I'm not one of those knowledgeable folk here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2