Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

New to forum

Article about: Good morning. My name is Michael Hinsch and I live in Texas. I was a military history major in college and my son and I are novice collectors of World War 2 items. I hope by joining this for

?

Default New to forum

Good morning. My name is Michael Hinsch and I live in Texas. I was a military history major in college and my son and I are novice collectors of World War 2 items. I hope by joining this forum I will expand my knowledge and learn from the experts here!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New to forum
    P
    Many

Welcome aboard Michael.

Mart

Quote by cmnplt View Post
    Good morning. My name is Michael Hinsch and I live in Texas. I was a military history major in college and my son and I are novice collectors of World War 2 items. I hope by joining this forum I will expand my knowledge and learn from the experts here!
    Welcome Michael!

Here's a few things that I've picked up that have helped me out:

1. Third Reich items should be expected to be fake/postwar/reproduction until proven otherwise - they're even starting to copy the cheap stuff now! The devil is in the details. Top faked items tend to be certain badges (Golden Party, TeNo), SS daggers, SS helmet decals.

2. Different makers of certain Third Reich items such as daggers have their own subtleties - important when seeing if something has the right parts.

3. E-stand/classifieds on this forum and others are almost always more cost efficient than a dealer site and can easily be vetted by hundreds of people. Plus there's no dealer overhead!

4. Many collectors listing items for sale are often willing to do no interest lay away or payment plans as are most dealers. Many people acquire items this way because it is obviously more cost effective.

5. Some people will recommend you pick one area to focus on and become really good at it - I like a diverse collection so I pick up any items that are interesting to me. Do what research I can and then ask for assistance if I still have doubts.

6. Many, but not all private sellers and dealers are open to negotiation on prices to some extent if you ask.

Welcome to the Forum.
    Santi

Michael,

Welcome to the forum from Far West Texas..

You and your son will have a lot of fun collecting and learning..

We have a strong knowledge base here in the multitude of collecting areas..

Some good advice and suggestions were posted by one of our forum members..

Don't be afraid to ask us questions BEFORE you purchase something as we may be able to help you save some hard earned money..

Reproductions abound in every collecting arena from baseball cards to militaria, (Not just Third Reich either) But with this said there is still plenty of authentic and original items out there.. Do your research, pick up some reference books, ask lots of questions but most important,, HAVE FUN with your son..

Best regards,, stay safe

Smitty

Hello from a fellow Texan (Southeast), and welcome to the forum! You have definitely come to the right place for knowledge. There are a lot of great people here, ready and willing to help. After you're account has been approved you can post a thread on anything that you want to share or ask questions about. Just post the thread in the best category that it fits, and generally you want to post one item per thread to help you get the best results.

Glad to have you on the site!

-Robyn

?

Welcome to the site Michael,
    It is great you are involving your son in this expedition..
    Enjoy your stay!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it.