Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New from the Netherlands

Article about: Hello all, My name is Nick and I work as a fulltime conflict archaeologist in the Netherlands. I focus on various aspects of the war (wherever my job takes me) in the Netherlands, but especi

Default New from the Netherlands

Hello all,

My name is Nick and I work as a fulltime conflict archaeologist in the Netherlands. I focus on various aspects of the war (wherever my job takes me) in the Netherlands, but especially on the Atlantikwall and post-war POW-camps for German Demining Units after the war (Pionier Brigade Draeger).

Currently I'm focussing on stories behind the German POW's that were forced to clear the Netherlands of ammunition and landmines between May 1945 and April 1947. As an Archaeologist I’ve excavated one of the POW-camps and the book on this camp (at Blerick, Netherlands) will be published this year. Since the start of my research, I’ve managed to collect some original documents, like Soldbücher, Wehrpässe, Sterbebilder, pictures and Feldpost. And I hope to share some of them on this forum. Hopefully there are more collecters with items from this Brigade. I’m still looking for more original items from this Brigade for my research.

Besides this, I'm also a collector of everything that's Luftwaffe Flieger-related (equipment and uniforms).

That's it for now. In the future I hope to be able to share my collection and contribute to discussions!

Greetings,
    Nick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New from the Netherlands
    P
    Many

?

Welcome to the forum Nick.

Your post made me search about the demining subject and this brigade (I must confess of which I didn’t hear before) on the internet. Very fascinating !

Where I live there was a lot of demining along the coastline too. We find parts of Tellermine and Springmine every now and then.

Was this camp situated in the later Army barracks of Venlo/Blerick ?

Good luck with your book ! When and if it will be publicly available I definitely will buy a copy.

Kind regards,

Joost

?

Hey Nick,
    Welcome to the site.
    Its great when a archaeologist joins.
    They tend to have Awesome photo's of their finds.
    Looking forward to seeing some of your Pic's

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hello Joost,

Thanks! Yes, it was located at the Blerick Barracks. I've made a list and map of all the camps I could find in historical documents and added it to my book. Where do you live? I can check if there was a camp nearby. The book can be ordered at flyingpencil.nl .

Currently working on a new book, but it's not s oeasy to find any Soldbücher or documents fron this Brigade.

Greetings Nick

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Hey Nick,
    Welcome to the site.
    Its great when a archaeologist joins.
    They tend to have Awesome photo's of their finds.
    Looking forward to seeing some of your Pic's

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil! I will try to publish some of our excavations with a small story and pictures of our finds.

Greetings,
    Nick