Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Searching for my Polish grandads war records

Article about: Hello there, I've been searching the Internet for my grandads war records with no luck whatsoever. I have very little info on him other than his name was Karl/Karol Balura, born in Poland, p

Default Searching for my Polish grandads war records

Hello there,

I've been searching the Internet for my grandads war records with no luck whatsoever.

I have very little info on him other than his name was Karl/Karol Balura, born in Poland, possibly 1921 and he died in Bristol UK back in 2009.

I always remember hearing that he was caught by the Germans and that's about all I know. Unfortunately no other family members are alive to confirm this.

Would appreciate any help,

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Searching for my Polish grandads war records
    P
    Many

Hello Sgtbdot,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, I have checked the Register of Recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross and the Kresy-siberia wall of Names with out find him.

I would therefore recommend that you contact the British Ministry of Defence and apply for your Grandfathers Service Record, be sure to request copies of all records that they hold. Otherwise you will just receive a 1 or 2 Page Letter briefly outlining his service during WW2.

The link to the web page is below, just click on the link :

Get a copy of military service records: Apply for the records of someone who's deceased - GOV.UK

Please let us know how you get on Sgtbdot, once again Welcome to the Forum.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Sgtbdot,

I have had a quick search of the Internet and found the following post war information for you :

Marriage entry for Karol Balura in Bristol in 1950

Marriage entry for Gladys Grace Sparks in Bristol in 1950

Your Grandfather applied for and was granted British Citizenship on the 4th December 1978 whilst living at 46 Bromley Heath Road, Downend, Bristol.

Also your Grandfathers Registration of his Death lists his Birth as being in 1924 and he died on the 1st April 2010 in Bristol.

Hope this helps you, if you or a member of the Family has the Death Certificate from the Local Registrar this should give his exact Date of Birth.

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. click on the photographs to enlarge in a new page.

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Hello Sgtbdot,

I have had a quick search of the Internet and found the following post war information for you :

Your Grandfather applied for and was granted British Citizenship on the 4th December 1978 whilst living at 46 Bromley Heath Road, Downend, Bristol.

Also your Grandfathers Registration of his Death lists his Birth as being in 1924 and he died on the 1st April 2010 in Bristol.

Hope this helps you, if you or a member of the Family has the Death Certificate from the Local Registrar this should give his exact Date of Birth.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thank you very much for the information.

I will send off for documentation to the MOD shortly.

Many thanks,

Matt ☺

Hello Sgtbdot,

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi Andrzej,

After a bit more poking around, I have found a picture of him in uniform. I am told the picture was taken in Scotland?

Is that information useful enough to perhaps get a better understanding of his movements during that time?

Thanks,

Matt
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Hello Matt,

Many thanks for your reply, it looks as if your Grandfather was in the 1st Corps, which unfortunately I have no records so therefore the Ministry of Defence would be your best hope of obtaining further information on his war time service.

I have also taken the opportunity of re posting your photograph of your grandfather due to the paint app it is hard to determine what if any unit insignia he is wearing on his arm.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Matt,

Many thanks for your reply, it looks as if your Grandfather was in the 1st Corps, which unfortunately I have no records so therefore the Ministry of Defence would be your best hope of obtaining further information on his war time service.

I have also taken the opportunity of re posting your photograph of your grandfather due to the paint app it is hard to determine what if any unit insignia he is wearing on his arm.

Best wishes

Andrzej
    Hello Andrzej,

I have found another picture of him but this time he seems so be in a German uniform? Can you confirm? He also looks much younger in this photo.

Thanks,

Matt
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval